Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Turkish sheet music
Etman
Oud Maniac

Mood: Rast !

[*] posted on 9-9-2016 at 06:38 PM
Turkish sheet music

I wonder do they write Turkish sheet music differently that the international way ?
I am new to music , just started to learn oud 3 month ago
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-16-2016 at 12:31 PM

There are many discussions about this on here. The main thing is that what's written as "A" in Turkish sheet music is actually intended to be E.

The third string on the Turkish oud is tuned to E while the third string on Arabic oud is tuned to D. It is this third string that is used as the tonic or base note in many or most makams.

While the third string on the oud is either E or D depending on the type of oud, in Turkish sheet music it's written as A. So if you are using a Turkish oud you have to play the written A with the E string, the written D with the A string and so on.
Etman
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-17-2016 at 10:13 AM

Thank you
Still remains a mystery for me
Trying to play "Hijaz Mandira"
But can't read Turkish sheet music !
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-17-2016 at 10:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Etman  
Thank you
Still remains a mystery for me
Trying to play "Hijaz Mandira"
But can't read Turkish sheet music !

It can be de-mystified if we had more information. How are you tuning your oud? Are you playing in a Turkish tuning or an Arabic tuning? For instance is your highest, thinnest string (double course) cc or dd? And what kind of oud are you playing (you don't want to tune a long scale oud to Turkish tuning.

As Hartun has said, this subject has been discussed at length on this website. Use the search function (upper left hand corner) and you can learn a lot.
Etman
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-17-2016 at 01:11 PM

Yes I am going to search it !
I play only Arabic Oud just began 3 months ago
My tune is Arabic C-F-A-D-g-c
Anyone have hijaz mandira sheet to be played on Arabic tuned Oud ?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-17-2016 at 01:11 PM

The main reason is that none of the instruments used in Ottoman or Arabic music used fixed pitch standards when the notation was adopted. Since the instrument can be tuned any way you want, the pitch naming convention used in the sheet music is arbitrary and primarily intended to make reading easier. Notation began being adopted around the 1932 Cairo Congress on Arab Music.

Turkish music settled on Rast = G, as this means that Chargah = C. Since Chargah is theoretically notationally equivalent to a major scale, this was felt to be the most logical starting point (as it had no sharps or flats). Everyone understands that Rast = G, Dugah = A, etc. and reads that way, regardless of the tuning of the instrument. Also, it conveniently puts the primary range of the instruments within the staff, give or take a few ledger lines.

You can also read Turkish sheet music two octaves down from where it is written, I forget the name for this but it's not uncommon for playing with a low A ney player.

Arabic music took a different approach, which was to make the "home" key (in Western notation) of C equivalent to the "home" key (in Arabic music) of Rast. At the time, Rast was more typically tuned somewhere around Bb or B, but if you wrote "C" people just knew that was Rast. Besides, writing Bb Rast or B rast uses a whole mess of accidentals, and would still mess people up if they thought in fixed pitches (which they didn't) — if you tuned to Bb and were given sheet music in B it would be very confusing. Try figuring out Saba on C#, for example.
As people went to conservatories and become more Western-trained, the idea of fixed references became more common and eventually people started tuning the oud and other instruments to match the sheet music.

Incidentally, it was at the same time that Arabs voted to use a 24 quarter-tone system to describe the notation, while Turks voted to use a 9-koma system (53 tone) for theoretical purposes.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-17-2016 at 02:57 PM

You can play Hijaz "scale" from D, right? Hijaz tetrachord from Dugah (which is D on your oud) and Nahawand tetrachord or pentachord from nawa (which is G on your oud). (never mind that the microtones will be fingered a bit different when your hearing develops, further down the road). The turkish sheet music will look like it's written in A. When you see A play D and so on.

Unless you've grown up dancing in 7/8 time the rhythm of this piece might give you some trouble though, if you've been playing music only 3 months.

Quote: Originally posted by Etman  
Yes I am going to search it !
I play only Arabic Oud just began 3 months ago
My tune is Arabic C-F-A-D-g-c
Anyone have hijaz mandira sheet to be played on Arabic tuned Oud ?
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 9-17-2016 at 04:41 PM

The Turkish music will have A B/b C# D for the hicaz/hijaz parts.
For you, play these notes: D Eb F# G

For the upper tetrachord, the sheet music will have D E F G A or D E F# G A
For you, play these notes: G A Bb C D or G A B/b C D

This piece is not too hard since it doesn't have much modulation and the sections are pretty obviously hijaz on dukah/dugah, and nahawand/buselik and rast from nawa/neva.

Go To Top