Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New (high tension) strings : any idea ?
antaus
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 12:23 AM
New (high tension) strings : any idea ?

Hello,

I have recently changed the strings on my oud (arabic tuning c g d A F C) with basic pyramid strings and it sounds really bad.

My oud has 59,5cm string lenght and apparently the tension is too low : playability is not good and there are parasitic noises (strings obviously touch each other) mostly on the d string (even with a home-made "double hole spreader" at the base of the strings which, by the way, worsen the playability), also the d string is nylon and I don't like the sound so I would like a wounded d string.
I have tune it one step higher and it's now playable but it is clearly not a solution.

I think the previous were D'Addario but I'm not sure, tension was higher but already a bit too low.

So I would like to buy a new set of strings :
- c g d A F C tuning with high tension
- 3rd string (d) wounded (not plain nylon)

What would you recommend ? Brian Prunka, any idea ?

My teacher told me about Thomastick but it seems to be G F for low strings...

Thanks in advance !
antaus
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 10-13-2016 at 12:45 AM

The oud in question (by the way, it has no label, I only know it has been made in Cairo around 2010, if anyone has an idea of which luthier did the work, I would be grateful).

The home-made string spreader on the d string (a small piece of plastic risha drilled larger than the holes in the bridge) not ideal but used to work with the previous strings (to avoid parasitic noises from one string slightly touching the other when played).

Go To Top