Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Equations for string tension + guitar sets on oud
ma_sabba
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 10-29-2016 at 06:27 AM
Equations for string tension + guitar sets on oud

Hey all,

I do a lot of experimental math as a hobby and I derived the equations for string tension in terms of relevant variables. This should be for interest of anyone wanting to do exact calculations by themselves for several applications on the oud: e.g. wanting to use a different string material, or using string sets for different instruments on the oud, or finding the tension change for a particular scale length of instrument, diameter, tuning, density of material, and so on. I have found that online calculators aren't necessarily mapped out for the specific variable you are interested in.

An example of an application: as we all know classical guitar sets/singles are more abundant, available, varied in material, and sometimes cheaper than oud sets. After using easily obtainable single guitar trebles successfully (and very economically) on my oud I thought; why not do this for other strings? I realized that many guitar string sets are complementary to the oud; for example the E can be used as a C on the oud, the A as an F, the D string as an A, and so on, with desirable tension. Also, the scale length of the classical guitar is standardized at 650 mm making tension measurements reliable. Thus I made an Excel spreadsheet along these principles; you find a guitar string set online, plug in its tension measurement into the spreadsheet, and you get an output of the tension on your oud based on its scale length and tuning (I included CFADGC, D/G, and half-step down tuning.) Knowing that a normal oud set has an average tension per string of around 3.0-3.8 kg, and based on your preferences, you can construct your own "oud set" from classical guitar strings. Also you can change the frequencies and scale length to use lute strings or other instrument strings on the oud. Please find the equation and spreadsheet attached.

I hope you find this helpful,
Mohamed

string tension equation.png - 28kB

Attachment: string tension table.xls (55kB)
This file has been downloaded 180 times

norumba
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 09:26 PM

Could you reattach the spreadsheet minions are? This is a great idea and something useful to have. I may not always restring the oud with classical strings but for example I had a low C break and find myself without spares so a classical string will have to get me by...

newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-27-2017 at 02:31 AM

Hello Mohamed!

Sounds useful but complicated . . . At least for me not being a genius in maths. I also believe that it might turn out complicated to get the values for string tension and density for a given classic guitar set. I just had a look at the Savarez page and found nothing. Nevertheless a good idea considering oud string prices.

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!

Go To Top