Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Indian rosewood/Ebony: high quality, competitive prices !
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

Mood: Sunbati Obsession

[*] posted on 11-3-2016 at 12:25 PM
Indian rosewood/Ebony: high quality, competitive prices !

Hello everyone,

We've recently signed a contract with an Indian company to be the strict distributing agent worldwide, for high quality Indian rosewood (ribs, necks, pegs.....etc.), and ebony (fingerboards and keys/pegs).

Prices are quite competitive, depending on the quantity. Best deals for quantities 2000 and above (ribs).

Price categories are as follows (per rib):
1-499: 2.9$ (130$ S&H)
500-999: 2.5$ (190$ S&H)
1000-2999: 2.1$ (295$ S&H; sea line)
>3000: 1.8$ (395$ S&H; sea line)

We're now taking orders.

Kindest regards,

OudProff-Indian Rosewood-Ribs.jpg - 77kB

OudProff-Indian Rosewood-Pegs.JPG - 96kB

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 06:59 AM

2000 ribs is enough for more than 115 ouds! For me that's a lifetime supply and more.

what is the price for unprocessed? ex: blocks that are 4"x4"x35"

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-4-2016 at 11:42 AM

As I understand it, it's actually illegal under CITES to sell/buy unprocessed Rosewood or Ebony from India without specific (and expensive) permits. I think that Canada's compliance may possibly be less stringent than the US, though.
Matthias
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 01:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
As I understand it, it's actually illegal under CITES to sell/buy unprocessed Rosewood or Ebony from India without specific (and expensive) permits. I think that Canada's compliance may possibly be less stringent than the US, though.

Hello Brian,

no, as far as I know indian rosewood and ebony is not blocked to sell without permission/registration by CITES. This is only the case for
brazilian, Masagaskar and Honduras Rosewood
and only for Madagaskar ebony. all other ebony woods are not protected.

I have some of the protected woods and around 2 years ago I did let them register ( which did cost me nothing ) and so I can keep on working with that material. And every time I do use of it for an instrument, I need a special Permission for it which costs me a few Euros.

Find here a list of all the CITES protected wood:
https://www.bfn.de/fileadmin/BfN/cites/Dokumente/Barrierefrei-holzli...
Sorry it is in German, but you find there also the latin names and the country's provenience. This is the world wide valid list.

The bigger problem is, that all musicians who own an instrument which is made of one of that protected woods should let them register, especially for the case they are travelling with them around the world.

Best regards

Matthias

Matthias Wagner
lutes - ouds - guitars & music-strings onlineshop
http://www.lutes-strings.de ( instruments )
http://www.music-strings.de ( strings )
http://www.facebook.com/Matth.Wagner
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ 9th Oriental music-summeracademy 1.8. - 4. 8. 2019
+ http://www.oriental-music-summeracademy.de
+ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4WC3bzeF38yuVfMGB8T1Vg/videos
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 07:04 AM

As I understand it, CITES includes provisions that strongly request the observance of the export regulations of each country. So while it is not "protected" under CITES, the fact that Indian regulations prohibit the export of unworked rosewood or ebony without a permit mean that if a country is fully-CITES compliant then it will also enforce those regulations.

I'm not an expert, but from what I've been able to determine this is the case.

But you're right, the bigger problem is when musicians attempt to travel.
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 11:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
2000 ribs is enough for more than 115 ouds! For me that's a lifetime supply and more.

What is the price for unprocessed? ex: blocks that are 4"x4"x35"

hanks SamirCanada,
You can still get less quantity than 1000's !

You'd also be surprised to know some makers do require such quantities out there.

We have Indian rosewood blocks with dimensions of 750 x 75 x 60 mm (enough to make at least 3 oud necks) for 69$US/block (S&H varies according to quantity; price per block too).

Cheers,

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 11:55 PM

As I understand it, CITES includes provisions that strongly request the observance of the export regulations of each country. So while it is not "protected" under CITES, the fact that Indian regulations prohibit the export of unworked rosewood or ebony without a permit mean that if a country is fully-CITES compliant then it will also enforce those regulations.

I'm not an expert, but from what I've been able to determine this is the case.

But you're right, the bigger problem is when musicians attempt to travel.

We have worked out all the legal issues to export from the company, no worries there.

Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-5-2016 at 11:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Matthias  

Hello Brian,

no, as far as I know indian rosewood and ebony is not blocked to sell without permission/registration by CITES. This is only the case for
brazilian, Masagaskar and Honduras Rosewood
and only for Madagaskar ebony. all other ebony woods are not protected.

I have some of the protected woods and around 2 years ago I did let them register ( which did cost me nothing ) and so I can keep on working with that material. And every time I do use of it for an instrument, I need a special Permission for it which costs me a few Euros.

Find here a list of all the CITES protected wood:
https://www.bfn.de/fileadmin/BfN/cites/Dokumente/Barrierefrei-holzli...
Sorry it is in German, but you find there also the latin names and the country's provenience. This is the world wide valid list.

The bigger problem is, that all musicians who own an instrument which is made of one of that protected woods should let them register, especially for the case they are travelling with them around the world.

Best regards

Matthias

True Matthias, the main issue when importing wood from India to EU and Americas is to have the package "fumigated", something we officially do through the Ministry/Department of Agriculture. All supportive documents will be also included.

Oud.Proff
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-6-2016 at 12:09 AM

Additionally, the following are available as well:

Ebony OR Indian rosewood fingerboards (dimensions: 400-410 mm length x 75 scaling down to 40 mm width x 4 mm thickness), prices per piece:
1-499: 3.75$ (120$ S&H)
500-999: 3.65$ (165$ S&H)
1000-2999: 3.50$ (245$ S&H)
>3000: 3.31$ (295$ S&H)

Ebony OR Indian rosewood oud keys/pegs (fish eye):
1-499: 0.65$ (40$ S&H)
500-999: 0.57$ (60$ S&H)
1000-2999: 0.50$ (78$ S&H)
3000-5000: 0.45$ (95$ S&H)
>5000: 0.39$ (150$ S&H)

Best wishes,

Go To Top