Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Somali Oud/Kaban
Kaban87
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 01:13 AM
Somali Oud/Kaban

Hey Chococumba, cool story man!

I live in Calgary, Alberta and would also love to learn the ways of Somali kaban. I've made some progress by watching Youtube videos and listening to recordings, but I believe I would benefit a lot by sitting down with a pro for a few sessions at least.

Judging by your neighbor's reaction, I'm going to assume you're more advanced than I am. I can play very basic versions of some classics, but would love to learn some tips if you care to share on how I can move closer to that authentic sound typical of Somali oud playing.

I enjoyed your story man,

Cheers.

bugaga
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 03:40 PM

Thank you for sharing your story. It sounds very nice and I'm glad you've made this experience and hope you'll find your way.
May I ask which tuning(s) you use and which are used in Somali and Malaysian style?
Chococumba
Oud Lover

Mood: Curry

[*] posted on 12-21-2016 at 05:30 AM

The tuning I use for Somali style from bass string to the thinnest string is BEADGC. I use pentatonic scales. Starting from the E string, I play the E minor scale where I play open E then use my 2nd finger on the E string to hold a G not ,then open A string then hold down the B note (as if you were to finger the 2nd fret on a guitar), then play open D, then hold down E note, then open G string, then hold down A note with 1st finger at 2nd fret position on G string and use third finger to hold B note at 4th fret position then lastly on C string, fret with 1st finger on 2nd fret position to play D and use 3rd finger to hold then E note on 4th fret positions. If you want to play G major pentatonic, start on the G note on E string.

For C Major/A minor Pentatonic, just transpose this scale sideways to start on the A string. The Somali style often use a lot on tremolo in between pentatonic bass phrases and pedal melodies where you tremolo pick the C string whilst playing a pentatonic scale on the bass notes. To get the Somali sound, pick closer towards the bridge with plenty of attack. As for the rishi, there isn't a right way, but I notice they seem to use little of the risha sticking out or use harder rishas for louder percussive sound.

Its also good to practice with to a backing drumbeat Somali style. You can make your own beats on computer and put it on a loop. If you have google chrome, there is an app that can slow down youtube video and pitch correction so that you can play along with Somali oud.

Malaysian style is not too different from Middle Eastern oud playing.

Go To Top