Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Perspectives on Bülent Kıvrak's ouds?
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 12:41 PM
Perspectives on Bülent Kıvrak's ouds?

Hi all,

I know that a few people on the forum have mentioned favorable things about Bülent Kıvrak's work.

Apparently, he sells ouds for $350.00 on the site cheapoud.com. He also makes student ouds for Tareq Al-Jundi for $450.00. I am _not_ interested in those instruments.

He does, however, also make ouds that are a step up from those in the $750-$800 range. You can see and hear examples of these with walnut or wenge bowls on his Facebook page and on Sultan Instruments' Youtube channel.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007754890135
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80K1Fvcdjew

These instruments _appear_ promising for the price. I'd very much like to purchase a well-made, reliable oud that will at the very least work well for the next few years (until I can afford something higher end) and that will maintain its resale value decently well. While I'd prefer to just buy something higher end from the start, my wife and I just had a baby, and I have a feeling that money will be a bit tight for a while...*

Who here has tried these ouds and what can you tell me about them? I'd be very interested in getting some frank perspectives from experienced players either in the comments below or by U2U.

Thanks!

*And yes, I am aware of other cheap options such as the Shehata apprentice models. I'd actually prefer a Turkish oud with Arabic tuning, so I'm not interested in something like that at the present time.
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 02:27 PM

One other thing to add is that the other oud I am strongly considering is Bülent Eryalman's $900 standard model, so particularly if you have played both, I'd love to hear from you.
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 07:38 PM

Channing,

Have you considered a Faruk Tarunz reduced price Oud.

ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 11-29-2016 at 08:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward6311  
Channing,

Have you considered a Faruk Tarunz reduced price Oud.

Sure, and believe me, I still am, but the reduced price oud is $1,300 not including shipping. Once the shipping is added in, I could also get a good oud from Ali Nişadır for about the same price... But that's more than I can realistically afford right now.

Bülent Eryalman's standard oud with a mahogany or walnut bowl is $900 including shipping. His instruments are more of a known quantity. Virtually everyone I've heard from says that they are very good value for the money. Bülent Kıvrak's ouds are $750.00 including shipping. They sure look good, and some of the videos people have posted sound good (even without the recording studio that Tareq Al-Jundi is using in the video above), but I'm a little skeptical...

Just trying to access the hive mind to help get a better sense of my options...
ameer
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 10:35 AM

I would avoid dealing with Bulent Kivrak at any cost. He has disappeared on me now for about a month, having taken my money for a custom job that he said would be completed weeks ago. I am trying to work out the situation but doing business with him is a nightmare.
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-10-2016 at 02:01 AM

Thanks for all who replied (publicly and privately). It sounds as though some people have had relatively positive experiences and a few others perhaps not.

At any rate, it's a moot point for me now as I was able to increase my budget a bit and just ordered an oud from Ramazan Calay, which I hope to receive in a few months. I'm very excited!

Go To Top