Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for Syrian Oud in UAE (also need advice on buying)
Knafeh
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 03:52 AM
Looking for Syrian Oud in UAE (also need advice on buying)

Hello,

So for the past few years I've been dabbling with the idea of picking up and learning to play the oud, and I've finally actively started looking for a Syrian/shami one. I've found a few ouds but as I'm new I'm somewhat lost. I'm listing the Syrian ouds I found below (those in my price-range at least). Also, if anybody knows where I can find a good Syrian oud in the UAE or is selling one themselves please let me know! :))
So far I've been able to find 3 Syrian makes of Syrian ouds here:

1) Ali Khalifeh
As I understand it he died several years ago and most of the ones sold with his name now are either low-quality ouds made by his nephew who took over the business or fakes, so I'm cautious about ouds sold under his name, but correct me if I'm mistaken.
Two options:
a) I saw one for 1000aed (270usd) which I don't think had a certificate, will post a photo soon.
b) I am viewing another one tomorrow. I will update about it here.

2) Ibrahim Sukkar
I've been able to find two ouds by Sukkar. One certified but used one that someone I know offered to sell for 900aed, and another, unused one for 750aed (200usd) which I am going to view tomorrow (don't yet know if it has a certificate).

3) Al-Sharq
I've been able to locate one made by "al-sharq", does anybody know anything about that company?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :D

NOTE: I've checked Music Chamber in Dubai, as well as the shops near Fish roundabout but I've only been able to find Egyptian, Turkish, Iraqi, and Bahraini ouds. I have not checked Abu Dhabi yet.
NOTE 2: I've also found 2 highly ornate alleged Ali Khalifeh ouds in two different shops in Sharjah, both for around 2000aed (545usd); outside of my budget but I thought I'd mentioned them in case anybody was interested.
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 07:47 AM

1- The old Ali Kahlifa ouds sound nice and they are big in size. As you said, there are a lot of imitations out there. His grandson Ali Khalifa, the owner of two oud workshops, Zeryab and Dimashqi, makes good ouds, especially the classical models of Zeryab line.
2- Sukkra is the first oud maker who standardized his ouds. Ther quality is very good and you can sell it later quickly.
3- I don't know this.
My advise, go for Model 212, 213 or 7 made by Sukkar. Zeryab is also very good if you pick a classical model "Shami 1 or so"

Go To Top