Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: full rosewood back for turkish oud
dennis noble
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 03:53 AM
full rosewood back for turkish oud

Hey All, I'm new to the oud, and have decided my first one would be built by Dimitri R. in Athens. (sorry, I forgot the spelling of his last name, but I see his ouds frequently here) Haven't decided for sure what woods, but leaning to Walnut and Palisander. Dimitri has an already built full rosewood back or bowl that he's offering a bit of a discount on. I'm just wondering if there are any opinions , and if this is a fairly common one wood back? I told him I wanted a bit of a darker tone, but the sound samples I've heard sound a bit guitarish to my ear? Thanks for any advice to a newly aspiring oudist. Dennis
stos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2016 at 07:10 AM

hello dennis!

My own opinion, is that the bowl has not a lot to do with the sound.

the face, bracing, the setting are the thing that makes an oud sound that way or another

take care also when you here a soundsample from a new oud with new strings : you will a lot of buzzing and string sound that normally disapear when the strings and the instrument get settled.

But saying that it doesnt mean that you have to take it! take an instrument that you like the sound and the aesthetic is really important!

hope it helps!

Go To Top