Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Just bought used oud - advice?
NoahD
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 12-26-2016 at 11:53 PM
Just bought used oud - advice?

Hi everyone!

After wanting to learn for some time, I finally took the plunge and bought my first oud. I was able to find a near-new oud on craigslist that was purchased from Maurice Oud Shop (this one specifically: http://www.mauriceoudshop.com/apprentice-oud-136/).

Overall it's still in great shape, but I wanted to get some general advice from more seasoned players on a couple things: First, I've had a few people say it's a good idea to have my oud re-strung, particularly if the prior owner never did it. Also, I noticed that there appears to be a grain of sand or some other small item inside the instrument. It's not super noticeable but I do hear it rattling around when I move the instrument. Any advice on getting it out?

I've already found an instructor who I'm going to start taking lessons from in the New Year, but I'd love to hear any tips for getting my oud into playing shape before then!

Thanks,
Noah
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-28-2016 at 10:51 AM

While it may seem odd coming from me (since I sell strings), the strings on it are probably fine for now and I would recommend consulting with your teacher before changing the strings. Because there are a few different tuning approaches, you want to make sure you choose something compatible with your teacher's tuning.

You could just ask your teacher what tuning you should use with him, and send me an email through my contact page and I can get you set up with the right strings.
It seems like a very nice oud. Measure the vibrating string length from the nut to the bridge in order to choose the best strings.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top