Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Zeryab Oud neck adjustment
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-6-2017 at 09:41 PM
Zeryab Oud neck adjustment

Anybody here have experience with these Syrian Zeryab ouds and their "truss rods"? There's a bolt behind the nut that can be adjusted with an allen key like a guitar. From the inside it looks like a threaded rod coming through the center of the neck and attached to the neck block. I'm assuming that tightening the bolt in the pegbox pulls the neck back a bit and lowers the action but I'm afraid to make any adjustments yet.

I bought this last summer and it sounds great but now with the winter I just noticed my action got a little higher. Possibly also because I was hanging it on a guitar wall hanger :( I realize that's a dumb move now.

Anyone own one of these or worked on one before?

Thanks

IMG_3244 (1).JPG - 82kB IMG_3243 (1).JPG - 87kB IMG_3247 (1).JPG - 306kB
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 08:45 AM

I HAVE JUST EDITED THIS POST, I WAS WRONG WITH MY FIRST INSTRUCTION SO HOPE YOU DIDN'T SEE. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU SHOULD TRY TURN THE ROD This looks like a Sukar oud (are they called Zeryab ouds now?) If it's a Sukar oud there should be a wing nut but it looks like it's missing. I think you will need to replace the nut, find one with the same thread, and tighten it until just firm. Then tighten it about an eighth of a turn at a time until the action lowers. You should not need to turn it more than three quarters of a whole turn. Keep the strings at pitch do not loosen them. You may need to loosen just one course to get your hand in. The action should lower. It is a great system and if it works you will be very pleased with how easy it is to set the action of your choice. Good luck.

Best Wishes, Charlie
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-8-2017 at 11:41 AM

Thanks for the advice Charlie. That seems like a good first step.

This is not a Sukar but it's basically a copy. Sounds great and played better than my old Sukar until the action started rising.

Maybe it did have a wingnut and it was taken out. I'll look for a replacement and see how it goes.

Thanks!
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 03:25 AM

Actually alejofar, it may not have had a wingnut as there is access to turn the rod at the neck end. I would therefore guess that this is the same type of truss rod arrangement seen on steel string acoustic and electric guitars. If so then I guess it needs to be turned using an allen key. Same will apply i.e. it only needs be turned a little at a time. You can check out this for info/discussion http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?212622-Truss-rod-... I wouldn't be too shy to have a go as long as you go slow and easy.

Best Wishes, Charlie
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 1-9-2017 at 06:35 AM

looks like there is some kind of threaded insert. Actually it looks like it has begun imbedding in the neck block from the pressure.

What happens when you tighten or loosen the rod? you can see if it does anything to the action. My guess is it is simply a metal rod which wouldn't change anything to the action.

Here is what I would do:

- Take the strings off.
- Unscrew the metal rod from the whole neck and body assembly.
- remove the neck and sand the bottom of the neck on a flat surface putting more pressure towards the back so correct the angle.
- clean the off the old glue on the neck block
- reattach the neck, you can put a bit of glue again.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 1-16-2017 at 08:25 AM

So I turned the rod just a quarter to the right and it lowered the action perfectly. I was worried that it wouldn't do anything or worse, that it would crack the neck, but the system works great!

Thanks for your words of advice. Samir and Charlie.

Luckily I didn't have to take the neck off ;)
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-17-2017 at 08:01 AM

Great news, congrats, by a turn to the right do you mean clockwise or anti-clockwise?. I would like to know as I have a Zeryab Shami#1 model on the way from a shop in Amman, Jordan, you can see the model here.

http://zeryaboud.com/en/other.php?page=products&id=9&projec...

Best Wishes, Charlie
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-20-2017 at 05:56 PM

Hey Charlie,

Sorry, I've been off the forums for a while and I missed your question. I turned the rod clockwise to lower the action and counter clockwise to raise it. So far haven't had any issues.

How do you like your Sham#1 model?
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2017 at 01:27 AM

Hi alejofar, I like the Shami#1. It has a warm very Arabic sound and is nice to play. Right now it is having a fight with my Sukar as my Sukar gets real angry when another oud appears and my Sukar has seen of some real expensive opposition. Either way I'll be happy and am beginning to think that Sukar ouds, especially, can take on any other when you get the string tensions you like and explore their open sound. Glad you've no issues with your Zeryab. I am a fan of adjustable action and don't know why it isn't on every oud. I've not had any problems with the Sukar or the Zeryab action mechanism. Cheers.

Best Wishes, Charlie
Sabina Truffer
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 03:03 AM

Message: Hello Charlie, could you tell me the name of the shop in Amman? I'm looking for a Zeryab shami 1 since several months but I can't find it. The manufacturer in Damascus doesn't answer me. Maybe they stopped the production because of the war? Maybe somebody can help me? Thank you!!
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-19-2017 at 08:33 AM

Hi Sabina,

Check out the Zeryab ouds offered here.
http://www.mauriceoudshop.com/syrian-ouds/

Best,
mike

Knafeh
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 04:54 AM

Hi Sabina, I don't know where you are but you can find Shami Zeryabs in Sharjah (right near Dubai), specifically Music World Center (+971 6 559 9159) where I got mine, and Dandana (+971 6 555 4110). The one I bought from Music World is a Shami 1, although the wood is lighter than the one's in Mike's link.
Knafeh
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 4-24-2017 at 04:56 AM

Hi Sabina, I don't know where you are but you can find Shami Zeryabs in Sharjah (right near Dubai), specifically Music World Center (+971 6 559 9159) where I got mine, and Dandana (+971 6 555 4110). The one I bought from Music World is a Shami 1, although the wood is lighter than the one's in Mike's link.
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-3-2017 at 08:06 PM

Please check out this great "How To Video" that alejofar was kind enough to make for us. He goes into great detail on how to actually adjust the action on these Zeryab ouds.

Thanks Alex!

Go To Top