Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Modulation recording
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 08:37 AM
Modulation recording

Hey all,

Ok, I found some time last night to sit down and record something. This clip is a little long ( 4:30) but there was a lot of modulation. I can only tell the first 3 or so modulations becuase I jumped all over the place at the end. I started off in rast on C then moved to hijaz on g, then to saba on g and then down to saba on D for a brief second, then I ended on the C major scale (I don't know the maqam). Hopefully someone out there can provide some criticism of technique, modulation or anything else for that matter. Here you go:
san3any
Oud Maniac

Mood: Prove that 0=1

[*] posted on 2-18-2005 at 10:32 PM

HI...that was cool.......GOOD JOB....

the way you jumped from a maqam to another wasn't that organized... but its nice over all..........

the last part you talked about ..... to tell you the truth, i have no idea what Maqam is this, but the way you played it was nice and it was more like guitar stuff, and I don't think it relates to any Maqam.. :shrug:

thanx :wavey:
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 10:00 AM

Revaldo, I liked the fact that you started out by playing the intro part of the taqsim for Farid's Isma Isma. It's always a good start to base your taqsim off of the masters that came before us. Abdel Wahab's El Nahr el Khalid was also very nicely incorporated. :applause:

Feel free to e-mail me at truepharaoh21@yahoo.com I would like to converse with you on a few more things, if you don't mind.

Take care, and keep ouding!

TP21

revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 10:32 PM

Paharao, I have never heard El Nahr el Khalid before. If anything in my taqssim sounds like that song, it was merely a coincidance. Actually, I think I might know what you are talking about. Are you talking about the rhythmic part toward the end that is in Saba on G? If this is what you are talking about, then you have stumbled across something that abdel wahab is known for doing. That melodic line is actually a very old libyan folklorick tune. Abelwahab was known for putting a lot of these tunes in his music. If you listen to oum kalthoum's Daret El ayaam which was composed by abdel wahab, one of the tunes in the beginning was actually taken from a Libyan composer and singer named Ali El She3leyya.

Go To Top