Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aquila strings
Andalusí
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-16-2017 at 08:55 PM
Aquila strings

Hi
My arab oud has a 60 cm scale. I want to try aquila strings but I don't know if I need normal or light tension.
Can somebody help me please?
Thank you
Ramii
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-24-2017 at 12:20 PM

Hi Andalusi

Depends on the type of oud, new or old, Floating bridge or not, personal preference etc.

I use "new nylgut arabic tuning" from Aquila on a floating bridge, as i understand it floating bridges require higher tension, so it could be they wont fit your oud.

I do find the treble strings a bit weird, but i think that its just me, not being used to the sound of emulated gut, i wonder how other players feel on treble strings & brands.

Good luck.
Andalusí
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-24-2017 at 01:04 PM

Hi Ramii

My oud is new, with a "classic" bridge. I´m afraid that too much tension will damage my oud.

Thank you for the tips
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2017 at 02:49 PM

I suggest that you read the past conversations here on Aquila strings before you do anything. In the past Aquila "normal" tension was too high for safety. It might be different now. And of course if you buy as set intended for C tuning and tune it to F tuning, your oud will collapse even if the label says "light".
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-24-2017 at 02:58 PM

Hello Andalusi!

I have an oud with classic bridge strung with an Aquila 130 set of strings for some weeks now. The high c string sounds a little too sharp when played open but that's ok with me. Apart from that the strings sound very clear and strong, not very soft. If you prefer softer sound maybe other strings like Pyramid are better for you.

I like those strings though because of their clear sound which on the other side lacks a little of wooden sound as the Pyramids. Depends on your taste, but I believe they won't do any harm to your oud if it's of good manufacturing. I'm not through with searching the best strings. If I'd find a Pyramid set with that kind of high tension as the Aquila 130 I would maybe prefer those if they have that wooden sound in spite of high tension which I prefer for playing.

What I definitely like is the red coating of C F A and D strings which really does not seem to wear off and makes your strings always look like newly strung. Cool!

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-24-2017 at 03:08 PM

Aquila no longer makes different tension oud sets. They make a set for fixed bridge, CFAdgc' tuning, and a set for floating bridge FAdgc'f' tuning. The floating bridge set is slightly higher tension if the scale length is equal.

Their standard 13o set for fixed-bridge ouds has fine tension for a 60cm oud, relatively light.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Etman
Oud Maniac

Mood: Rast !

[*] posted on 1-24-2017 at 05:42 PM

I totally agree with "newlife" , I have not tried the pyramid or krucshner yet ! Only cheap Chinese set that came with my oud which has 60cm scale & then switched to Aquila I30 CFAdgc .. which was huge difference and sounds really nice Clear & Strong
... it is nylgut & sharp " g & c " does not sound so stringy but nice feeling though
Tension was fine !
Definitely like the red color of the copperwound strings

Yasser
Andalusí
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 08:05 AM

Thank you everyone. I will definitely try the aquila strings. I usually tune my oud like an andalusí north Morocco: DEAdgc
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 08:32 AM

Ok. You'll have higher tension on your sixth string compensated by lower tension on your fifth string. Any good oud should be capable to handle that that, I believe. Maybe you'll have a little more buzz on your fifth string because of lower tension.

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!
Andalusí
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 12:43 PM

newlife_ks, you´re right: the fifth string buzzes a little bit. But I don´t mind.
MattWilks
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 1-30-2017 at 09:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Andalusí  
newlife_ks, you´re right: the fifth string buzzes a little bit. But I don´t mind.

Try with normal tension first.

Go To Top