Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: doubling the bass C string?
Onglon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-24-2017 at 03:13 AM
doubling the bass C string?

Greetings to this wonderful forum,

i noticed that my sukar oud has an additional unused peg as well as a corresponding hole in the bridge, juxtaposed to the C bass string hole.

Therefore, in principle, one could double the C bass string.

I was wondering if any of the forum members has attempted this in the past and if the sound is pleasing to the ears?

Best regards

Microber
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-24-2017 at 10:55 AM

The luthier Huosain Sabsaby often makes his fixed bridge oud like that. See the picture. Ans a lot of other picture on his FB.
https://www.facebook.com/huosain/photos?lst=1035023207%3A1521400902%...

Sabsaby double C.jpg - 56kB
alaaraj
Oud Junkie

Mood: Tuning!

[*] posted on 1-24-2017 at 11:33 AM

I think the double bass on Sabsaby's are FF or GG. His C-cc ouds usually have single C ..
I suppose one can add double C but it might not sound great as both strings are thicker and have low tension which would result in sound that's less pure!

Onwards and upwards

HazRaj
Onglon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 04:50 AM

Thank you for the feedback gentlemen, i am due to restring the oud soon, so will try it out (and report back).
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 06:20 AM

The oud is actually already quite small to have the low C string. Some people have doubled it, but the results are debatable. If the oud has a longish scale (61-62cm) you'll have a better shot. Using a heavier string would help.

On thing that you could do is double it up an octave, something like .025-.026in wound string would likely work.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 07:53 AM

You'd need very heavy strings under high tension to stop them slamming into each other (not an attractive sound). And a specially constructed oud to stand up to that tension.

Onglon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

On thing that you could do is double it up an octave, something like .025-.026in wound string would likely work.

Brian, i am not familiar with string girth, does it mean that i could put together (1) a regular bass C string and (2) a D string but tuned a tone lower to C, in such a way that (1) and (2) ring a C note but one octave apart?

I have the impression that the bouzouk (apologies, this is actually outside my comfort zone as i know very little about this instrument, i hear it sometime in old Lebanese songs) also has an octave apart double string and the sound is interesting, so i may try that :)

Best
Onglon
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-25-2017 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Onglon  
Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

Brian, i am not familiar with string girth, does it mean that i could put together (1) a regular bass C string and (2) a D string but tuned a tone lower to C, in such a way that (1) and (2) ring a C note but one octave apart?

I have the impression that the bouzouk (apologies, this is actually outside my comfort zone as i know very little about this instrument, i hear it sometime in old Lebanese songs) also has an octave apart double string and the sound is interesting, so i may try that :)

Best
Onglon

Yes, more or less, that is the idea. The buzuq does indeed do something like this. There's also a Moroccan instrument (forget the name) that is similar.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Onglon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-26-2017 at 08:03 AM

hello again to all,

it did not work: during the restringing process, i noticed that while there is an extra peg and an extra hole in the bridge, there is no dedicated path on the nut...

best
Giorgioud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oudbsessed

[*] posted on 1-28-2017 at 08:26 AM

Yep. Did it myself in the past out of curiosity but wasn't overly keen on the result. The C string vibrated better and was more sonorous when it was single. I understood why it had remained single all throughout the years....apart from rare and notable exceptions....

Go To Top