Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My new oud, achieved by Thomas Dauge, Luthier near Bordeaux (France)
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 12:12 PM
My new oud, achieved by Thomas Dauge, Luthier near Bordeaux (France)

Hello all,

just like to share with you pictures and a record for my new oud. One may talk of restauration because the bowl as been used from scratch after some modification.
Then everything else has been built from new by Thomas Dauge who has create the soundboard and made a new neck and peghead.

It is by his help that i could conclude this older project (http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=16096). This time he made all on his own, keeping some tracks from the older project but using another receipe for thinking the soundboard.

Hope you'll enjoy as much as I. I feel the sound rich and well equilibrate. The design he realized is a pleasure for me

Here are some pictures. And a mobile phone record..Hope it will give justice to its sound ! The oud is 2 weeks old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWdkwxfgPNM

The website of Thomas Dauge:

http://www.thomasdauge.com/

http://www.thomasdauge.com/19.html

Best regards to all

IMG_1300.JPG - 42kB IMG_1301.JPG - 43kB IMG_1304.JPG - 36kB IMG_1305.JPG - 56kB IMG_1306.JPG - 59kB IMG_1309.JPG - 33kB IMG_1310.JPG - 46kB

ExtreamTarab
Oud Junkie

Mood: ...Lessa Faker...

[*] posted on 2-6-2017 at 01:18 PM

beautiful :applause:
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 02:59 AM

That's a very fine looking oud! And your video is fine too, the oud sounds very clear and crisp to me even when played in higher positions.

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!
Danielo
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-7-2017 at 07:11 AM

Congratulations for your new oud Marouan ! The sound seems well balanced and the craftsmanship is really good....

Did you use a Sandi bowl ?

Dan
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2017 at 05:17 AM

Thanks, i'm glad you like it. I will try to make new record in other condition, to give another catch for the sound.
indeed the sound keeps well defined in the trebles, this area of the soundboard was think for that and it worked fine.

Dan, the bowl is not a Sandi this time. Seems he doesn't propose his kits anymore. This time the bowl come from a Turkish oud which went for sale in my area, unknown maker,I think from the late 80's beginning 90's.
All other woods come from Thomas's sources.

For sure next project should be making the bowl also. We made this choice this time for a matter of availability and to keep the project affordable. But as you can see on his website for the lutes he build, he can make bowls for sure ;)

Regards

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 11:19 PM

Hello

Another record for the higher register, in others conditions of recording. I took Jamil Bashir caprice to illustrate

https://youtu.be/WUmcIfWbfGk

Regards

Adel Salameh
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2017 at 01:50 AM

Nice job dear Marouan,
a lot of echo and resonance is not necesserily good for the Oud,
Best wishes,
Adel
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-15-2017 at 04:15 AM

Hello Adel
First, thank you for your feedback. Highly appreciate moreover from you.
I didn't work on this oud even if we think of it conception together with Thomas Dauge .
I wish an occasion so that you can try it because Ithink to understand which kind of resonance you are afraid of. This one is indeed resonant but I think from the light conception. I mean resonant in a good way because the sound is controled. I have tried before oud where, i think, the resonance was coming from some weakness of the soundboard. At least they had rather weak soundboard and rather thick bowl. The problem in this case was an uncontrolled sound production. I didnt liked this way, too confuse to my ears.
This one is not light as a lute but being 800 gramms it tends to be on the ligth side. I like this way for its controled resonnance and confort of playing. It is sensitive but not confuse. Recording with mobile is maybe not the better way for this configuration of oud building because I guess the sound projection not the same that when the oud bowl is thicker..so wish you can try it so that we can discuss issues like this !

I made another record by the way, clear and simple playing to make listen another way.

https://youtu.be/ADRAabA1CeY

best regards

Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-15-2017 at 09:15 AM

Hello ,
Nice oud! Congratulations ! Nice sound and crafting too. I'm quite sure that the soud will be better after mounths and years.
Thank you for sharing, it gives us a good idea about Dauge's oud work.
Regards,

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 04:24 AM

Thank you Khalil I appreciate
Indeed it is more to share this new work of Thomas Dauge. The guy works greatly and deserve to be known.
I'm eager too to ear how the sound will evolve
I take the occasion by the way...nice stuff on your channel ! :)
Regards

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 06:47 AM

Hey Khalil! nice to see you here brother. Alors tu viens visiter bientot?

Suz, the oud looks beautiful and sounds very powerful. I think it sounds to resonant for your phone, the microphone cannot handle it.

I see what Adel is saying, it is not a traditional sound that is suited for classical playing. To me it sounds more like a floating bridge oud, Iraqi style.

I am not sure if you can call that echo, but I noticed that when you are playing a note and you move to another note, you can still hear the previous note that is no longer being played. Its very resonant.

But one thing to remember, it is very new and it sounds very "new". It will not be the same in a year from now and even better in 5 years. It will be interesting to hear the difference.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-16-2017 at 08:48 AM

Hi Suz,
Thank you for your comment, I appreciate !

Samir ! Merci mon ami, j'attends Ă  ce que les tempĂȘtes de neige finissent :) je viendrai certainement !!!

Yes, I'm pleased to take part in this forum to interact with all these persons loving the oud and oriental music... very interesting ! to listen to new ouds like Suz's oud.

Khalil

suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 05:52 AM

Hey Samir ! Content de lire aussi un retour de ta part :)

The issue of classical sounding oud is a large debate i think. Just a thought. I don't mean to defend this oud any word is said on it. That would be ridiculous.Or saying each one his own taste, that would sound like an evidence...Even if it has to be said again and respect in our troubled times.
But, and the issue is getting out of presenting this single oud, I tend to doubt of what we call classical sounding oud. I understand what is mean by that but i think this adress to a receipe of making and a partcular taste. But maybe not what history was. I say maybe, i don't have the studies backgrounds to assume any kind of truth on the subject. This doubt from talks with people i met during my oud journey, and some ouds i get to tried like for exemple a light small sized Gowhary oud i enjoyed a lot or two Abert Mansour oud to talk of nowadays masters
Here are also a number of instruments presented on this very interesting website to support the debate:

1879 egyptian oud, 675 gr:
https://oudmigrations.com/2016/04/18/alexandria-to-brussels-1879/

Another egyptian oud, maybe the " the oldest surviving Arab string instrument at all " with a bracing " supporting resonance and responsiveness. Overall, the bracing is very thin and sparse, ". Came to the collection in 1839 I think to understand
https://oudmigrations.com/2016/03/05/770/

from Damascus, Qudmany brothers 1897: " this combination enables the construction of a very light but robust shell. " said as " exceptionally sonorous and warm "
https://oudmigrations.com/2016/05/30/a-gem-from-damascus-1897/

from Qudmany brothers, 1904 " Despite its considerable size the instrument weighs only around 700g. Many instruments of similar dimensions known to the author are even lighter. This is presumably one reason for their brilliant and ethereal tone."
https://oudmigrations.com/2016/05/16/syrian-brothers-in-istanbul/

standards of egyptian ouds from 1800 to 1930, single sound hole instruments when 6 courses
https://oudmigrations.com/2016/11/14/how-large-were-egyptian-ouds/

Again, i just open the question. How much what we called nowadays classical souding oud has been infuence by modern recordings, cultural influence/school of making, some artists and evolutions in the way of playing? I particulary wonder on the recording issue

I don't know if mine will evolve in warmness, I guess so..I hope so I must say :)

Best regards guys

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 06:37 AM

The most important thing Suz is that you love the instrument :)

But on the topic, I think it may be that the recording technology is not representing the right sound of the older ouds but its not entirely true.

The last time I met with Khalil, we were in Saad Al-Tayyar's workshop last the summer. I brought my 1927 al-lissi oud and of course there were a variety of ouds made by Saad there to. The sound between both was incomparable, I don't mean one is better than the other. I mean, not the same sound.

I also think, the sound of a oud and the playability will push you to play in a certain style. For example, Khalil who plays several Tayyar ouds can play beautiful modern oud music with a high technique. When my oud was in his hands he started to play an old Ryadh Sumbati taqasim, which really blew my mind the way he could play it but this is another topic.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-17-2017 at 07:05 AM

True Samir. I never played such an instrument. but I always like to find back my Zaher Khalifeh for exemple when i want to express myself in those kind of music.
I miss this ocean between us...Come on guys, you are not made for snow , i'm waiting for you in Bordeaux :) Keep in touch !

Go To Top