Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Problems with new oud
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2017 at 03:32 PM
Problems with new oud

Hi everyone,

I just purchased an oud off of eBay and there are a couple of issues. First of all, before I bought it I sent the link to a more experienced friend. He claimed he recognized the design and knew the company that makes it, it was a good "low budget oud" and that even his teacher (John Berberian) owned one to fool around on. The oud was being resold for a low price so I bought it.

The oud is a Turkish model.

Problems are the nut is made of wood and there is zero action.

Secondly, the bridge is made of plastic.

Otherwise it's a nice instrument and even has a pickup.

I have a good family friend who does woodworking as a hobby. I think he's up to replacing the nut although it will probably still be wood. Should I buy a bone nut blank instead?

Secondly, the bridge. I don't know if trying to replace the bridge will damage the face? I see replacement bridges online but not sure what to buy.

Thanks in advance

Harry
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-8-2017 at 03:48 PM

I think I used the wrong terminology talking about "action", indeed there is low action but what I meant to say is the nut is flush with the fingerboard.
dario
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 02:37 AM

Hi Hartun, I'd say just get a bone blank. They're cheap and the difference is worth it - I have a cheap Turkish oud with a wooden nut and the wound strings catch on it so they don't tune up smoothly.
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2017 at 03:07 AM

Hello
I wouldn't mind the nut flush with the fingerboard.. it should not produce buzzing if the fingerboard is well planned and it is much more comfortable to play this way. Actually i always want the nut this way on my ouds. Making the nut higher will make you loose energy while playing.
Do you need to get rid of a buzzing ?
But If I get to change it i would go for bone

For the bridge, plastic is strange. Are you sure it is not a thick varnish that make you think it is plastic made ?

Regards

Go To Top