Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Crack in pegbox
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 07:07 PM
Crack in pegbox

Hey Everyone,

I have an oud here that's cracking along the pegbox and through the peg holes. I took all the strings off and was planning on putting epoxy between the cracks but I'm concerned I might not be able to squeeze the epoxy all the way in there. I'm afraid if I use the peg to widen the crack a bit and get some epoxy in there then I may just keep extending the crack. Any suggestions? I'm hoping it doesn't require a new pegbox.

IMG_3309 (1).JPG - 88kB
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair

[*] posted on 3-2-2017 at 11:02 PM

It's hard to tell from the photo if its just the lacquer of the wood that's cracked. Most likely the wood.. which is bad, this is often difficult to repair. I usually end up making a new pegbox, which is a lot of work. You can try to spare it, but it's likely dead in the water.

newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 04:35 AM

If you manage to widen the crack a little without doing more harm to the pegbox I'd try bone glue in your case. You should warm up the pegbox with a hair dryer maybe so the glue won't jelly too soon. Its consistency should be highly fluid, and the warmed up pegbox will keep it fluid for some time before it hardens. Use clamps for pressure but put some pieces of wood between the clamp and the pegbox to prevent imprints. Good luck!

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!
alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-3-2017 at 10:45 AM

Thanks for the advice guys!

It's definitely cracked through the lacquer in some parts and going all the way through the pegbox. In other parts it's just on the surface.

I don't have the skills yet to make a new pegbox so I'm gonna try gluing it even if it's just a temporary fix. I was thinking epoxy because I thought it would fill the crack a little better than hide glue but would you guys recommend hide glue instead? Warm hide glue is more viscous than the epoxy I have so I think it has a better chance of getting all the way in there but I'm concerned whether it would be as strong as the epoxy.
jdowning
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2017 at 09:05 AM

That is a tough problem to permanently fix due to the wedging action of the pegs that will work to open the crack
You could try a low viscosity cyanacrylate glue (superglue) - water like consistency - that will wick into the crack in the wood without need to spread the joint such as this brand. A quick and straightforward fix - if it works.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20022&cat=1,110,42...

Epoxy is too viscous.

alejofar
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 10:15 AM

Thanks for showing me this low viscosity super glue jdowning. I'll have to try it next time since I went ahead and used hot hide glue for this. It sealed up pretty nicely and is holding for now. I'm curious to see if it will do the job in the long term. I am concerned about the wedge force the pegs will exert over time. If I do see it opening up again or I notice the pegs begin to slip I'll try out the Hot Stuff.
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 10:27 AM

I believe that the hide glue method will do the job. All ancient instruments like violins, cellos, lutes, guitars and so on have been made using hide glue. And as far as I know ouds are made using hide glue too. So why worry?

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!

Go To Top