Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mohamed Gaffer Egyptian Oud
sephiroth13014
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 06:00 AM
Mohamed Gaffer Egyptian Oud

Hi everybody,

Glad to join the oud community, this is my first post!

I'm a french beginner player, and I love this instrument. I have the opportunity to by a beautiful oud from an egyptian Luthier, called Mohamed Gaffer, a very sober and nice instrument: massive indian pelissander for the bowl, the bridge, the tuning pegs, and massive cedar for the sounding board.

The price is 850 euros (almost 900 $). Before bargaining. My questions:

1) do you really think that it is expensive/normal/cheap? regarding the luthier, does anyone know? I admit that's a hard question if you don't see and hear the oud, but, as I play many other instrument (guitar, greek bouzouki, algerian mandola...)

2) with that kind of budget, should I go directly to Egypt and get an instrument directly? I'm found of sober instruments sounding beautifully, really don't care about inlays etc...

Thank you so much for your advises, and long life to the forum!

Cheers from France
alaaraj
Oud Junkie

Mood: Tuning!

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 06:35 AM

I think you posted this three times by accident!

Don't worry, it happens!

Personally, I don't know the luthier but for the money you are spending it's got to be a good oud .. Have you got any pictures or videos? As a general rule - and I'm sure you would know this being a musician - don't buy an instrument without listening to its sound.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

:-)

Onwards and upwards

HazRaj
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2017 at 12:30 PM

Hello
I spent time at Arabic oud house in Cairo and Gaafar ouds were well appreciated but rather hard to get. Seems he is not very productive maker.
I had a macassar ebony one which was a great sounding floating bridge,I sold it years ago because it was too big for me at this time.
regarding the price I think it is a usual price from France for this range of instrument . Maybe even a great deal if it is a particularly great sounding one and in perfect state. But keep in mind it is difficult to talk price without any information on the state of the instrument and any try to hear its sound
best of luck

ilnokaly
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-7-2017 at 02:38 AM

If you are in France, i recommend you go see Sons de l'Orient.
It is a store located near Paris. The owner is a professional trader, honest, very responsive and assistive.

http://www.sonsdelorient.com

He has very nice collection of egyptian. Turkish. Syrian. And iraqi ouds.

Go To Top