Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Abdel Halim
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 12:38 PM
Abdel Halim

I know... we rarely mention him on this forum... because he doesn't play oud. BUT WAIT! HE DOES!

He's actually pretty good. I found 3 files of him playing and singing on zeryab.com's forum. While I can post the links, I'm not sure if all of you can download them. I can probably have the files uploaded here in real player format by tomorrow or the day after, but for now... I'd like to present you all with these clips...

http://www.4allofus.net/zeryab/showthread.php?t=3037

http://www.4allofus.net/zeryab/showthread.php?t=3036

http://www.4allofus.net/zeryab/showthread.php?t=3035

Let me know what you guys think. I'll really do my best to get it up here for you all soon.

Take care, and be sure to comment!

TP21

spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 02:05 PM
Abdel Halim Hafez

My God, I grew up singing his songs and I didn't know he played oud !

Thanks for the information brother.

I have a bunch of his old songs but never heard him play.

Thanks
Spyros C.
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 11:58 PM

I am skeptical that it is Abdel Halim playing the oud. Although he was formally eduacated in music, and did graduaute from a music conservatory with Mohammad al Muji (one of his friends and composers), I think that is probably some one else accompanying him. I've seen him in movies holding an oud, and singing (to a track that featured a full band), but this playing is really good. If he played this good, we would have seen evidence of this in movies, interviews, concerts, etc. That's just my opinion, I hope I'm wrong.
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 12:01 AM

Well Sam, I was listening quite intently in one of the clips. The khaif one. And if you listen to the beginning, when he starts singing... there's no one that can accompany another one doing mawwal that perfectly. Additionally, when the oud starts, he starts immediately as well, perfectly synchronized. This led me to believe that it indeed is him playing and singing. Tell me what you think.

TP21

samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 12:28 AM

I listened the part you're talking about - there's a min and half taqasim that establishes the maqam. A few seconds before the the vocal starts, you hear Abdel Halim humming the "karar" pitch, and they start "Ya Layli ya Ayni". It could be Abdel Halim, I am not convinced its definitely not, but I think it could also be a well versed oudist, someone that may have rehearsed with Abdel Halim over the years. It could one of his composers, al Mugi, or Baligh Hamdi, who have worked with him throughout his career. This "Layali" is a very comman prelude to a song, and it could be someone who accompanied him in it a million times, you know.
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 12:44 AM

Well guys... it may have just been a false alarm. I let some people here listen to it, and they said that the voice doesn't even sound like Abdel Halim. So I guess that's out. But hey, either way, it's still oud for the oud forums!

TP21

samzayed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 10:55 AM

I agree, I've been lsitening to these tracks through my headphones, and I really doubt its Abdel Halim as well. It just doesn't have the same "sweetness" as Abdel Halim. Good imitator though. Nice tracks, regardless.

Go To Top