Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: M. Fadel Oud on Ebay ????
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 12:40 PM
M. Fadel Oud on Ebay ????

Hi guys,

Check out this oud on Ebay. The seller claims its a very fine instruments. What do u guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=623&...

Chris
TruePharaoh21
Oud Junkie

Mood: Loving the Oud

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 03:20 PM

It looks to be very professional. He says that one peg is missing, but I can only count 10 out of 12 (maybe I'm just too tired). Other than that, I'd ask for a soundfile. It seems to have a lot of potential, but you should really ask for a sound file. If you get one, be sure to post it here so that we all can hear!

TP21

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 04:34 PM

The seller says, "This is a gorgeous item: a player's instrument, made by the finest 'ud maker in the entire world. "

hmmmm!

He (or she) also claims, "The instrument is a fine example of the Munir Bashir model 'ud that is unique to Iraq and unique to the Faisal brothers."

again, hmmmm!

Perhaps Ronny or Walid could comment on whether the Faisal Brothers are, in fact, the finest 'ud makers in the entire world.

The seller also comments " .... has been played, and loved well."

As the instrument appears to be fiited with only 8 of the original 11 strings, it may have been a while since it was played and loved well. ;)

Regards,

Greg
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 05:40 PM

Hehehe...

I hope the basketball team didn't bring it along to practice everyday.

;)

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
hamed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Iss'al rouhak

[*] posted on 2-22-2005 at 07:00 PM

faisal was a typo, the label in the oud clearley reads Fadel. the label says it is made by Faleh, Awad, and Mohammed Fadel Hussien.
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 03:04 AM

Apperantly the seller cant read arabic. What's strange is that he doesnt know that his oud is a Fadel and not Faisal:)

When it comes to building Bashir style ouds, M. Fadhel is without doubt the best maker.

This oud is intresting and I had a chat about it with Ronny yesterday, here are some comments,

The label: as the seller said, 3 signatures, Faleh, Mohammed and Omar, all the three signatures are genuin (we compared to certificates we have), the stamp is also genuin. But why is the picture missing? there are almost always a picture of Fadhel on the label...

The bridge, is kinda different, more like a violin bridge, it's known that Fadhel sometimes experiments, thats why it would be intresting to hear this oud..

I want also to say this, in the beginning (1960 and the 70) Fadel didnt make so many bashirs, the model was new and not much popular and was only made on demand, it seems that Fadhel really put his soul on those ones, thats why those are the most valuable bashirs (my dream is to own an early bashir )

Conclusion:
+ Bashir model
- 1999 (Not Fadhels best years)
- the bridge is different
- Label with no picture

I wouldnt pay more than 1700$, it would have been worth more than 2000$ if it had standard bridge and label picture.

Thats my personal opinion and I might change my mind if I hear the oud (hearing the oud is most important here).

Regards
/Walid
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 04:56 AM

Walid,

Do you believe this is a genuine Fadel and not a fake?

Regards,

Greg
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 09:14 AM

The literal translation of the label is,

Certificate,

That this instrument is the make of the artist Mohammed Fadel, number 6073, for the year 1998. This certificate was provided by the Mohamed Fadel Hussien and son's"company" , on the 1st of July, 1998.

Signatures of,

Faleh Mohammed Fadel,
Mohammed Fadel Hussein,
Omar Mohammed Fadel.

The label has the printed name "Mohammed Fadel" throught. but look at the peg's pictures. The pegs don't look that high of a quality. I read on Zulkarnin website that these pegs, that have the lateral grooves on them, that results from friction against the wood, are not the finest quality and they keep slipping.

Chris
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 10:07 AM

Greg, there are no doubt that the oud comes from Fadels workshop, the signatures on the label are genuin and the serial number seems ok.

But if you ask me if that's M. Fadel Husseins work, I wouldnt be as sure.

Regards
/Walid
Greg
Administrator

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by walkad
Greg, there are no doubt that the oud comes from Fadels workshop, the signatures on the label are genuin and the serial number seems ok.
But if you ask me if that's M. Fadel Husseins work, I wouldnt be as sure.

Thanks for your evaluation Walid. After taking a close look at the fit and finish of the tuning pegs, I would not have thought it possible that this instrument was the work of a group of world-renowned craftsman. It just shows you how little I know about Iraqi ouds. But I sure wouldn't be parting with upward of US$1,700 for this oud without seeing and hearing it first.

Regards,

Greg
Alan
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mellow Yellow

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 06:30 PM

The label in the oud looks the same as my '92 Fadel I got from Ronny. Mine has a color picture of Fadel which is glued on the label so it is possible that it could come off over time. The pegs also look similar to the ones on my Fadel. With the ability to reproduce near perfect copies these days, Ebay would be the last place I would spend that kind of money on an oud without knowing more about the seller.
ghassan bashir
Oud Addict

Mood: 0ud player/sing

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 10:03 PM

hi guys
i wanna tell u that this oud is not a good piece and not worth more than 500 us ..anyway it is not by fadel and take my word ..i know fadel personally ..unfortunately he is passed away ..i visited m fadel in bagdad the first time in 1990..and his ouds were not bad at that time ,even though his sons were the ones who make m..and i visited him in 96 and he was reall old and he had some guy working in his workshop ,making the ouds with one of his sons and he had almost 30 ouds and i loked at m all and played few of them but they were all bad ones ,i tell you..his son wanted to take advantage of his father beeing alive so he could market under his name while he is alive ..anyhow ..i know alot about this family and about there personal life ..guys ,again take my word and opinion..breifly ..fadels name was bigger than his size ..am not his enemy ..he made some nice pieces at a certain period of time ..but that does not mean that all his oud were good.........etc

ghassan bashir
hamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2005 at 11:38 PM

i will have to agree with ghassan, judging just from the sloppy work on the peg box, i think this is not made by fadel. I am not an expert, but i have seen a few fadels before, an thier construction was much more meticutous

hamed
walkad
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 01:33 AM

Quote:

..fadels name was bigger than his size ..am not his enemy ..he made some nice pieces at a certain period of time

Remember that you are talking about the Fadel.. Just because you've taken a picture with him doesnt give you the right to say so about him.
His latest years was tragical, his sons took advantage of him, but still, he was one of the greatest arabic oud builders in modern time.
You have to look back to Nahat and Jamel Georgis the elder to find equals.

Just because there are average Jameel Georges ouds made in Cairo, doesnt mean that the Georges the elders was just a big name....

And guys, before you hear a oud dont make judgement on quality based on a picture, specially if the judgement is based on how a peg looks ...

Regards
/Walid
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 06:19 AM

Hi,

I think Walkad is right about the sound. It may be true that this instrument is not the best example of Mr. Fadel's work, and on the other hand it may be a great oud.

The instrument needs to speak for itself.

The great thing is that I can really see how passionate we all are about the oud in threads like this...

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 02:36 AM

This oud is from the workshop of Fadel but please don't aspect that a man of Mohammed's age have been working on it...The pegs looks completely ¨normal¨ and arn't machine made....Alan Rophie's Bashir is a masterpiece and it's also a recent oud from Fadel's workshop and plese just look at quality of this oud, the soundboard and the sound is incredibile...The pegbox on Alan's oud comes with the original design. The pegbox on the E-bay is nothing strange with. I have seen several Bashir models with this design.

Best wishes

Ronny
Alan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 09:45 AM

If Ronny says it's real I believe him.
Does anyone know about the seller? The name is familiar. I think I remember him selling a Fadel a few years ago on ebay. I think at the time I sent Ronny pictures of that oud. As I remember Ronny you didn't have good words to say about that one. I am pretty sure it was the same guy. I will have to see if I saved the pictures but I may have deleted them.
Ronny Andersson
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
If Ronny says it's real I believe him.
Does anyone know about the seller? The name is familiar. I think I remember him selling a Fadel a few years ago on ebay. I think at the time I sent Ronny pictures of that oud. As I remember Ronny you didn't have good words to say about that one. I am pretty sure it was the same guy. I will have to see if I saved the pictures but I may have deleted them.

I remember the oud you are talking about and I believe it was a Bashir by Yaroub and not Mohammed.

Best wishes

Ronny
Alan
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 08:42 AM

Ronny, as I recall it also had a Fadel label with a missing picture.
kentgustavson
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 09:33 AM
M. Fadel Oud on Ebay

Hi -- I will answer some of your questions...

Yes, I did post the 'ud a few years ago -- but it didn't sell -- that must have been in 2001 or 2002, I think.

I haven't played the 'ud much since then, so I guess you could say that it hasn't been loved enough. That is why I want to sell it to someone who will really use it. The broken strings are because I simply haven't played it -- they are the same strings I bought the instrument with in 1999.

I apologize for my reading error in Arabic. I speak colloquial Palestinian Arabic pretty well, but am just learning to read -- and mis-took the d for an s -- I'm sorry about that -- you all know much more about the history of this instrument than I have ever heard -- it is really great for me to read this history.

The reserve price of the 'ud is 999 dollars -- and the reason I have put the 'buy it now' price so high is that I'm sort of reluctant to sell it -- hence the 4 years that have passed since I last put it up for sale -- it has a lot of meaning in my life --

I spent much time in Palestine, and learned to play the 'ud with Wissam Murad there -- another guy my age who plays with the band Sabreen -- he's an excellent player, if you want to check him out -- he is also an incredible singer in the old styles... http://www.sabreen.org

If I didn't sell the lute -- I wouldn't be crushed -- just because it means so much to me -- but I need to sell some instruments -- you'll see that I also have a guitar for sale on ebay -- I am in the middle of a recording project that needs all my time and money.

I welcome any questions or comments -- my email adress is kent_gustavson@hotmail.com -- thank you all for all of the information on the lute.

Yours,
Kent
hamed
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 05:56 PM

could you maybe post a sound file of the oud, thats what we are all dying to hear, and i'm sure it would clear up all the hysteria that is going on on this thread
, thank you
hamed
kentgustavson
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 01:54 PM

Here is a soundclip of my Fadel oud. Please forgive the playing -- it has been a long time since I have studied, and I am playing with the wrong plectrum, the strings are very old, and there aren't all the strings there are supposed to be. All of that said -- I hope you get a feeling for what the oud sounds like. It really has a beautiful voice, I think.

http://www.kentgustavson.com/oud1.MP3
http://www.kentgustavson.com/oud2.MP3

Thanks.
Kent
http://www.kentgustavson.com

Go To Top