Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Floating bridge wood: Padouk or Rosewood?
IlPersiano
Oud Maniac

exclamation.gif posted on 3-28-2017 at 10:13 AM
Floating bridge wood: Padouk or Rosewood?

Dears all,

A few questions about floating bridge oud woods.
I have a floating bridge oud, Spruce top. As the bridge that comes with it is quite bad I wanna replace it with a new one, I was wondering if I shall install one in Padouk or rather Rosewood?
If Rosewood, which best? Brasilian (harder) or Indian?

About mesurements. Which lenght and width would you suggest? I read in another related topic here on the forum, no less then 15cm lenght and anyway 50% or even 65% of the soundboard width. As for the bridge width about 4,5 cm. Would you agree with those?

Thank you so much in advance!
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 07:10 AM

Well, I would follow violin luthiers experience. Use maple, dense enough to transfer sound waves, light enough not to affect the soundboard vibration.
Cheers,
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 08:12 AM

Are you contemplating replacing the soundboard or the bowl or the entire oud?

Quote: Originally posted by IlPersiano  
Dears all,

I have a floating bridge oud, Spruce top. I wanna replace that with a new one, I was wondering if I shall install one in Padouk or rather Rosewood?

About mesurements. Which lenght and width would you suggest? I read in another related topic here on the forum, no less then 15cm lenght and anyway 50% or even 65% of the soundboard width. As for the bridge width about 4,5 cm. Would you agree with those?

IlPersiano
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 09:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  

Dears all,

I have a floating bridge oud, Spruce top. I wanna replace that with a new one, I was wondering if I shall install one in Padouk or rather Rosewood?

Hey Jody! Thank you for your reply. I realized actually one sentence was missing in my post and so my question sounded quite unclear - Now edited - I wanna replace only the bridge :)
IlPersiano
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 10:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Omar Al-Mufti  
Well, I would follow violin luthiers experience. Use maple, dense enough to transfer sound waves, light enough not to affect the soundboard vibration.
Cheers,

I personally wouldn't Omar. Im a double bass player myself as well, and I can tell that a bowed isntrument is different from a plucked. And beside that, lutes, ouds or guitar top have much more stress compared to strings isntruments.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 10:54 AM

Oh! now I understand. I think you will have equally pleasing results from rosewood or padauk. Ebony is good also. Padauk is not only lovely wood but it behaves much like Brazilian rosewood and it is relatively abundant and bringing it across borders is not a legal issue. But Indian rosewood makes very good bridges on all sorts of plucked instruments. (and oud bowls as well).
I think any of these are likely to produce good results.

Dears all,

Hey Jody! Thank you for your reply. I realized actually one sentence was missing in my post and so my question sounded quite unclear - Now edited - I wanna replace only the bridge :)
IlPersiano
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 11:10 AM

Oh! now I understand. I think you will have equally pleasing results from rosewood or padauk. Ebony is good also. Padauk is not only lovely wood but it behaves much like Brazilian rosewood and it is relatively abundant and bringing it across borders is not a legal issue. But Indian rosewood makes very good bridges on all sorts of plucked instruments. (and oud bowls as well).
I think any of these are likely to produce good results.

Dears all,

Thank you Jody! It seems I may go more for Rosewood. And how about Indian Rosewood or Brasilian Rosewood?
Do you know perhaps how they would effect the sound each of them?
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 12:34 PM

The tone of a Brazilian rosewood bridge depends on the acoustics of the jail cell where it is being played. Just kidding. Although it is illegal to bring Brazilian rosewood across the borders of many countries I know no one who has ever been stopped or had an instrument confiscated. Customs officials are not wood experts. That said, not all pieces of Indian rosewood sound alike and the same goes for Brazilian. So it's hard to make a blanket statement that will always be true. In my opinion the typical sound of padauk and the sound of Brazilian rosewood are similar. When you strike a board of either one they make a similar "clang". Indian Rosewood tends to be a bit different. In general I have been happy with the sound of Indian rosewood bridges on plucked instruments but fixed bridges and floating bridges are different from each other. I'm afraid my reply may not be helpful at all!
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 12:44 PM

I think like Jody said, they will all work wonderfully. As long as the wood is hard it should be a similar sound so just go with the one you like.

Whatever you do, don't use Brazilian rosewood. I think you will be very disappointed with the results. Just send it to me and I will dispose of it for you. :)

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-30-2017 at 11:41 PM

IlPersiano,
On one of my floating bridge ouds I did lots of experimenting. Pelisander/rosewood was my less favourite.
I liked the results of maple and nut wood.

Go To Top