Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New Here, really nice forum!
harlantk
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-10-2017 at 04:35 AM
New Here, really nice forum!

I thought it would be best to make my first post a hello and introduction.
Please call me Tim, I tend to respond faster, but Harlan is fine otherwise.
I figured I best join a forum covering Lutes and Oud's as I begin to ponder a new project here. I guess I need a challenge, and deep down I have wanted to build a Lute since I can remember. Funny part is Became a Violin and Classical builder and never follow my passion to build the Lute.
I did some searching and found this forum, lurked about for a while, noted a lot of really nice and talented people here. :applause:
I will be pondering (thinking and planning) for a few months yet before starting the build, and would appreciate any and all advice you might have.
I have seen something of great interest here in the forums, of the geometry studied by many here, and the period measurements shown on some of the geometries, that made me feel right at home since that has been a study of mine for years.
So anyway, my name is Tim, I live in Eastern Iowa.

Tim
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 5-10-2017 at 06:13 AM

hi Tim,

Welcome to the forums. looking forward to follow your building adventure.

You should definitely see about meeting up with Jameel Abraham of http://www.benchrafted.com he is in Cedar Rapids and makes amazing tools for woodworking but he knows one or two things about making ouds. :)

He also is hosting the handworks even at the Amana Colonies which looks amazing. I cant attend unfortunately.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
harlantk
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-22-2017 at 11:54 AM
Thank you for the tip

Thank you Samir for the reply.
Cedar Rapids is not far from here, about an hour and half'ish so yes that would be a great trip to make. I really appreciate the tip.

As with all build's, I approach slowly, planning ahead a little. First order is set up the bench a little differently, move the Bow Making to the other bench.
This shall happen soon, sooner hopefully.
Again thank you.

Tim

Go To Top