Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tasos Theodorakis - Greek luthier with new website
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 07:19 AM
Tasos Theodorakis - Greek luthier with new website

Hi guys,

Check out this very nice site for the luthier Tasos Theodorakis in Thessaloniki, Greece. His instruments look and sound really beautiful.

Tasos Theodorakis - Xilofonia

He even has a remarkable practice oud, very cool idea.

Take care,

mavrothis

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
walkad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 11:15 AM

That was a cool site indeed. Although I am not sure I understood the idea of this practicing oud.. Have anyone used something like that?

Regards
/Walid
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 12:21 PM

Hi,

It's for when you need to practice without making a lot of noise. If you want to play late at night and live in an apartment building, your mother-in-law hates oud, or something like that I guess.

:)

Take care,

mav

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 04:40 PM

Very cool website Mav. His ouds look very nice. There's one more option. I wish I had all these options when I first got into the oud. I loved his old oud collection too!

Take care,
Mike

john (beloved) habib
Oud Junkie

Mood: love my new oud

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 10:04 PM

very cool site... beautiful picture of the oud fingerboard on the introductory page... amazing...

Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 10:32 PM

Nice site. Love the rose designs. The practice oud is a good idea and I am certain that it can be easily electrified and I assume it can be played without the back attachement.

I noticed the Manoles in the collection, what is Manole's origin?

Take care,
Elie
spyrosc
Oud Junkie

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 11:39 PM
Manole

Dear friend Elie,

Manole was one of the Venios Brothers, a family of Greek luthiers in Constantinople (Istambul), very famous around the beginning of the 20th century.

Their ouds were legendary. Manole (Emmanuel) was the better known craftsman, and consider one of the best, if not the best, luthier of the Ottoman Turkish Empire at the time. Some people say he was the best of all time !? Anyway, his ouds have been copied and copied again, and he was the teacher of many famous luthiers that succeded him.

I believe that after the wars of 1922 he moved (together with a very large number of Greeks and Armenians) to Salonika Greece (where Tasos Theodorakis lives today).

He used many interesting techniques, especially in the shaping of the braces, the shaping of the soundboard, etc.

I believe Dr. Oud had mentioned him and his techniques in the past.

I hope that helps
Spyros C.
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

Mood: skaataa!

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 01:27 AM

"
Quote:

I believe that after the wars of 1922 he moved (together with a very large number of Greeks and Armenians) to Salonika Greece (where Tasos Theodorakis lives today).
"

Manolis Venios (aka Manol Usta) from Istanbul passed away in 1915.

He was one of the best oud makers of the modern time.Many oudmakers such as Faruk Türünz,Engin Erogler (son of Hadi Usta, apprentice of Manol) studied his style and technik.

Nikos
walkad
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 01:35 AM

Even Usta Ali (one of the greatest iraqi luthiers ever, used by Sharif Mohyeddin Tarqan, Salman Shukur, Jameel Bashir etc) was a student of Manol.

Generally the turks have made greate impression on the iraqi lutheri, thats why iraqi classical ouds are much closer to turkish ouds in sound than syrian and egyptian ouds.

Regards
/Walid
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 05:25 AM

Hi,

Manolis Venios was definitely the top maker of the Turkish style ouds of his time, and his instruments are the most respected of the antique instruments. :) He made some interesting adjustments to the instrument, and was probably one of the first if not the first to use the dovetail to connect the neck to the body, along with other improvements/changes.

Just to clarify, I don't believe he had any brothers, but his workers were referred to as his "brothers" on the instruments that were made with their assistance. There are instruments with just his name on the label, though it's said that he always made the soundboard on his own for all his ouds (in secret, in an upstairs room... ;) ). Karibyan was also one of his famous students/coworkers.

Take care,

mav

--Edgard Varèse
Wm. De Leonardis
Oud Maniac

Mood: AOK

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 07:30 AM

Does anyone know the origin of the rosette design on his menu page? It’s identical to the one used on my Turunz oud. I know Faruk is greatly influenced by Manol. Was this one of his designs?

Thanks for the link, Mav. It's nice to see yet another oud maker with a web-site.

William
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 08:24 AM

Hey,

My pleasure man. My guess is it's from a Manol too. They can really be beautiful. Speaking of Turunz, I've heard from a friend that he's improved on his sound (which is definitely saying something). I'm very curious to hear his newer models.

Tasos Theodorakis is really nice guy, I've corresponded with him several times. I wish him the best with his shop, his instruments look really wonderful.

Man, I think ouds are going to drive me crazy. lol

Take care,

mav

--Edgard Varèse
Wm. De Leonardis
Oud Maniac

Mood: AOK

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 12:06 PM

Hey, Mav,

Thanks for your thought on the rosette. I’m assuming that my Turunz was made with the modifications you mentioned, as he finished it only last August. It’s an incredible sounding instrument. But, like you said, I keep hearing and seeing so many great ouds I can’t seem to escape the madness of wanting yet another one—your new Dalkilic looks and sounds so great, I want to order one now!!!
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 12:53 PM

I Have ordered a new Faruk too.Im getting it in march.It will be a rosewood-juniper wood combination and im really looking forward to seeing and playing with this instrument...

As soon as i get it i will post pics and sound file with it..

Nikos
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 04:56 PM

Hey Niko!

Me to kalo megale! That sounds great, I can't wait to see it and hear it. :)

I actually just finished ordering a Turkish style oud from Dimitris in Greece. I'm really excited. :applause: It will be with pallisander and maple.

Wooohoooo!

Take care,

mav

--Edgard Varèse
Multi Kulti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 05:19 AM

:D

have a nice time waiting...it can be very "trippy".You see ouds in your dreams,in your food... :)
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 06:54 PM

Guys,

Speaking of oud madness, I was just down in Philly today to pick up my Najarian after Mr. Dalkilic had done some work on it, and I ended up staying all day trying out ouds and talking about music.

He had one new oud he had just finished, which was really great, with rosewood and paduk ribs. Also, I got to play one of his ouds that Udi Cinucen Tanrikorur had owned, really nice man, all paduk that had aged into a very deep brown. That one, and some of his other ouds, are made a little more shallow so they are easier to hold and play, and have a very sweet, personalized sound I think.

At the end of the day I got to play one of his Manols, which actually is all original except for new pegs and some repaired cracks (made in 1900). Amazing man. The obsession never ends with these instruments. It's so great also to have him explain about his methods in making the instruments, why he does this and that. I always get some great makam lessons every trip too. :)

I'm telling you, I'm so lucky to be able to visit and play on instruments like this this often. Mr. Dalkilic told me that once when Udi Cinucen's wife visited his house, she called it "Udistan" b/c of all the ouds on the walls and propped up against the couches. lol I call it paradise. :)

Take care,

mav

--Edgard Varèse

Go To Top