Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guitar Type Peg Box on an Oud
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 07:46 AM
Guitar Type Peg Box on an Oud

These seem to be very stable.

Has anybody ever owned a oud with such a peg box? How often do the pegs slip/move? Is it easy to tune?

How do they compare to the peg box of an oud in terms of stability? Does it cause any other problems while playing the oud? Are there light types of these peg boxes?

How often do the pegs of a "good quality" oud slip?

Chris :applause::cool:
LeeVaris
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud lover

[*] posted on 2-25-2005 at 11:11 PM

Hey Chris,

Check out this thread:

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=404#pid2278

These special planetary gear "pegs" are a perfect replacement for regular pegs - almost exactly the same weight - I have them on one of my ouds BUT, they are very expensive... I kind of wasted them on a less expensive instrument to replace some really poor cheap pegs.

Guitar tuners are way too heavy - throws the balance of the instrument off and you'll be struggling to keep the neck up.

Good well fitted pegs shouldn't give you any trouble - there's a good web page on fitting pegs here:

http://www.bearmeadow.com/build/methods/setup/html/installing-peg.h...

The instructions are for an Appalachian dulcimer but the principle is the same for the oud. If you learn to do this yourself you can save yourself a lot of headaches and you won't need any fancy mechanical solutions! That being said, I love the PegHeds (geared pegs) I just wish they weren't so expensive or I'd put them on all my ouds

regards,

Lee Varis
varis@varis.com , www.varis.com
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 09:48 AM
Thanks Lee

Thank you Lee for your help and advice.

This seems to be an interesting invention. I mean, if the pegs do not slip, then obviously I don't have a problem with my oud going out of tone. They also look very natural and nice. I am sure we are able to do something for the oud. The price IS kinda expensive. I mean, within the United States, the instrument part shouldn't be as high in price. Never the less, for once in a life time, or perhaps twice, these pegs can solve a problem.

Thanks for your responce. I am going to go to the haluk website and check out his pegs. the website mentions that u can add "guitar pegs" for an extra 25 dollars. I wonder if they are the heavey variety. They probably are. I am sure that Shehata can accomodate these requests.

Chris
Mike
Super Administrator

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 01:06 PM

Hey Chris,

I wouldn't recommend using guitar tuners on an oud. First off it looks ugly and also like Lee said, it throws the balance of the oud off. The pegbox area becomes way too heavy. If you are going to get an oud from Mo or any other reputable maker, their pegs work just fine. So don't even worry about that.

Check out this thread to see a picture of four ouds all made by Mo. Two ouds have regular pegs and two have guitar tuners.

Take care,
Mike

Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 2-26-2005 at 09:27 PM

Schaller and Grover make traditional looking non slip pegs for violin. Schaller also makes cello non slip pegs but also expensive. Schaller violin pegs come in 1/2, 3/4, and 4/4 sizes abot $20 for a set of 4 and the cello pegs are about $30. The Grover Champion G05B non slip violin is a bit less expensive, about 15 bucks for a set of which comes out to 45 bucks or so then add shipping and handling. They are suppose to fit any size pegbox.
Chris_Khouri
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 02:44 PM

Andy,

These pegs, do they fit any oud? and do I have to make adjustments to the peg box in order to use them?

Chris
Andy
Oud Junkie

Mood: excellent

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 07:36 PM

Hi Chris,
If you go the International Luthiers Supply web site at
www.internationalluthiers.com
at the violin section go to parts click on and scroll down to just past the rosewood and ebony violin and cello pegs you will see the 2 styles of pegs, Schaller and Grover. I don't know if the shanks are long enough but it would be worth checking out. The site claims the Schaller pegs are easy to install but if you have zero experience you could mess up because yes you do have to make adjustments assuming of course that the shanks are long enough. The Grover pegs have metal shanks, BTW.

Go To Top