Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Buying an Oud in Israel/Palestine
Miles
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-8-2017 at 04:33 AM
Buying an Oud in Israel/Palestine

I have about a week to buy an oud in Israel, and was hoping some of y'all might know of some good oud music venues and luthiers that I could go to to buy an upper-mid-range oud. I know this topic's been asked a few times before, but I was looking for some more up-to-date info, and maybe some places that haven't been mentioned yet.

Here's my situation:
I'm beginning to learn oud from a professor at my college, now about three months in, and have only been able to play the fairly nice ouds that he owns. Summer break is almost here, though, which means I won't be able to use his ouds for months. As it happens, I have a friend taking a business trip to Israel who's game to transport an oud on her return flight, and another friend currently living in Israel who has been trying to find me a good oud to buy, accompanied by his oud-playing friend who's been testing them out. They're based in Haifa, so they're mostly (though not exclusively) looking around northern Israel. I have a little over a week before my business trip-taking friend can transport me back this oud, so I'm under a time crunch.

Though I don't want to pour a huge amount of money into an oud I personally don't get to try first, my Israel-based friend has played a lot of music over the years and I trust him to find me something good. I've also been spoiled by my professor's quality ouds, and would like something at least somewhat comparable without breaking the bank. I'm thinking upper-mid-range, something that sounds good and will last me at least a couple of years.

First, what price range should I expect? My teacher tells me there's a large percentage of ouds in the "not great" category that are generally not terribly cheaper that significantly better ones, at least in his experiences in Egypt, so going for something a little higher end makes more sense. Would people say this is true, in Israel or generally? And should I even consider going to a luthier given that I'm still a beginner and won't be able to notice the difference as much? I'm new to the oud, but I've been playing trumpet for ages, so I'm at least experienced with instruments in general. Also, I'd like to hold onto this oud for a while. (I'm hooked now.) Any suggestions at all would be a huge help!

Here's a list of what I've found so far. A lot of this info seems potentially out-of-date, so please feel free to correct me on any of them.

Luthiers:
Abu El-Alaa (أبو العلاء) (and his son Bashir) - Baqa al-Gharbiyye (south of Galilee)
Kamil Mowais (كميـل مو يـس) - Nazareth
Ibrahim Abu-Romano - Yafo
Hatem Joubran - Rami (near Karmiel)
Samer Totah - Ramallah
Botrus Bisharah - Ma'alot-Tarshiha
Peter Sayegh - Ramallah

Stores:
Chitori - Yafo
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-8-2017 at 06:50 AM

I have seen/heard some excellent ouds from some of the names on your list. But.... where are *you* located? There may be some good ouds for sale close to where you live. You could avoid the hassle of your friend transporting one, potential import duties on entering your country, and the danger of damage in transport.
Miles
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-8-2017 at 07:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
I have seen/heard some excellent ouds from some of the names on your list. But.... where are *you* located? There may be some good ouds for sale close to where you live. You could avoid the hassle of your friend transporting one, potential import duties on entering your country, and the danger of damage in transport.

My friend's located in Haifa, up in northern Israel. Know of any good venues around there?
Humam
Oud Maniac

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 6-8-2017 at 06:48 PM

Hello Miles,

I think this post might help: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=17144#pid11...

But, I agree with Jody Stecher. It might be easier/safer to buy the Oud from your city/country to avoid the risk of damaging the Oud during the travel.

Good luck.

Humam
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 6-9-2017 at 04:15 PM

Welcome to the Holy Land :)

Corrrections :

Abu El-Alaa أبوالعلاء Baqa Al-Gharbiah - Northern Triangle,
cell. ++972503092303

Kamil Mowais كميـل مويـس Nazareth,
cell. ++972502126734

Hatem Joubran حاتم جبران Nazareth,
Home: ++97246575585

Ibrahim Abu-Rommaneh ابراهيم أبو رمانة - Tel Aviv-Jaffa,
cell. ++972505766722

Samer Totah سامر طوطح Ram Allah, (Pa.) ?

Botrus Bisharah بطرس بشارة Ma'alot-Tarshiha, Northern Area
cell. ++972523589211

Peter Sayegh بيتر صايغ - Ramleh, (Is.), Near Tel Aviv
cell ++972543955444

Prices : 1500-2000 $ up to 10-12 k $
Hatem, Botrus, Peter don't have any ready made ouds. They all work by orders, so you may spare the trips, unless you'd like to take some impressions from their workshops. Kamil & Abu Alaa both have off the shelf ouds. Usually they don't prefer to take orders, unless you insist.
No idea about Ibrahim & samer.

Anyhow, give them a call before you bother and drive.

Any additional help ? Drop me a line to my email.

Good luck
Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 04:43 AM

The OUDs of Abu El-Alaa make me drool!
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.183808671637413.44700.1838...

Thanx for these links Alfaraby.
May i ask a question please. Are all these Holy Land Luthers you have named all arab makers living in Israel?
Are any Jewish Luthiers, not born or living in Holy Land, but actually Jewish? I am also looking for a list of Jewish Luthiers to see their Ouds as well.
Thanx in advance.
Matt
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 07:45 AM

Corrections

Though irrelevant:

Are all these Holy Land Luthers you have named all arab makers living in Israel ?

Only Samer Totah works in Ram Allah/Palestine.
All the others are indigenous Palestinians living in their home towns in Israel.

Are any Jewish Luthiers, not born or living in Holy Land, but actually Jewish ?

Not as much as I know, except for Yaron Naor, who builds a variety of instruments
(See Here: https://www.youtube.com/user/Yaron43/videos)

Yaron Naor in Bat Hefer very close to Abu Alaa.
Cell. ++972547655797

There are some who try their best as a hobby, but not as a full time job luthiers. e.g:

Nathaniel Cohen in Jerusalem
Cell ++972526291226

Shlomo Eldad in Tiberias
Cell. ++972507607700

Good luck to you all
Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 09:36 AM

Thanx for that info Alfaraby.
Yes, I have seen on the forum some of Shlomo Eldad's ouds which look like very nice looking ouds as well.
I have some friends who travel there so I was curious in case i may have opportunity in future to get another oud.
Thanx for the info!
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 01:54 PM

Also Yaron Naor. I think he's in the Tel Aviv-Jaffa area. He's probably better known outside of Israel for his rishas, which you can buy from online shops like EthnicMusical and on eBay.

Not sure if he'd have any finished instruments on hand, and I'm guessing they wouldn't be cheap in any case. Gorgeous work, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K3M3OtRN1U
Miles
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 6-10-2017 at 08:30 PM

Thanks y'all, and especially Alfaraby, for all this info. Getting a better idea about the high quality ouds of some of these luthiers, it seems like a crime to buy one given my beginner status. I've arranged with my friend to get an oud that his oud-playing friend is familiar with and likes, sold out of the music store in his home town (a smallish Druze town I don't know the name of). I'll keep these in mind, though, when I'm good enough to deserve something of this caliber.

Go To Top