Printable Version  
Author: Subject: buying oud on ebay!
habeebkum
Oud Maniac

Mood: arab!

light.gif posted on 2-25-2005 at 11:01 AM
buying oud on ebay!

Hi guys,
am new to the forum but am addicted to reading all your messages and learning about ouds. I have been playing for a a year( my friends oud!) and I have decided to buy one. Could you tell me if this is a good oud and if it looks proffessional. I found it on ebay.
Thanks guys
amru
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=623&am...

I dont know how to attach a picture but that is the web location.
palestine48
Oud Junkie

Mood: Free Palestine

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 09:05 AM

This looks liek a commercially made out. I bought one similar from nile shop which is an ebay store. They are decent though. I met a professional oudist in san francisco yesterday and he actually said mine was not bad. Obviously its not the best but he was delited so I could say that its a great learners model.

If you want to buy an inexpensive one, id prob recommend to go to nile ship and email yehia, like most people on this forum suggest. I think he got mine from a compay called gawharet el fan. They have a website if u do a yahoo search. so ya these are prob decent learners models.

The reason i say that is because yehia seems to have a good reputation as a salesman among the forum. he also sells custom more expensive ouds but those will start at like 600 or so. I personally think a cheap good sounding one is a good start cuz u wont care if gets roughed up while you are learning.
habeebkum
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 12:58 PM

thank you for your response. however i have a relative going to middle east tomorrow so they will bring one back for me from a guy that has a oud shop. so hopefully i wont be taking the risk of it getting damaged thru mail!! thanks alot for the advice tho
salam

habeebkum
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-27-2005 at 06:16 PM

Im happy to hear that your family is getting you one, May ask which country and what is the budget you have in mind. I have a friend leaving to jordan and I wish she can get me something but its too much of a risk because she might not know exactly what to buy.

P.S. Have them carry it on th plane if they can or get a hard case. Im sure your gonna need a hard case anyways when you find yourself a nice oud

Allah Salmak,
Rami
habeebkum
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 04:50 PM

ahlain rami

my budget is about 1000 dhs which is roughly 140 british pounds. and i think it will sound quite nice for that price......i hope! and i am getting one from abudhabi. My family is sukkan jordan (irbid). and from palestine48 i am guessing you are also sukkan ordon? where abouts?
amru

habeebkum
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 05:41 PM

Hi Amru,

Actually I'm from Ramallah, I descend from one of the original clans and families. My father came to America around the time of the '67 war and my mom came from berzeit a bit later. I was born here in San francisco.

I have contacts in jordan from friends and family who have relatives there. And yes many live there because of the conflicts that happened in the past.

My screen name refers for my desire of a united Palestine and at this point we can only acheive this under the circumstances of both sides integrating. But since that is a political issue id rather not go into political details against the wishes of the forum but feel free to u2u me for my email if u like to chat.

I visted amman for the first time 2 years ago, I also went to jarache and petra, all the tourist stuff. I enjoyed my trip very much although I didn't know much about purchasing ouds at the time so I didnt go hunting for one. But inshallah I can find some treasures the next time around.

Rami
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by palestine48
Hi Amru,

Actually I'm from Ramallah, I descend from one of the original clans and families. My father came to America around the time of the '67 war and my mom came from berzeit a bit later. I was born here in San francisco.

I have contacts in jordan from friends and family who have relatives there. And yes many live there because of the conflicts that happened in the past.

My screen name refers for my desire of a united Palestine and at this point we can only acheive this under the circumstances of both sides integrating. But since that is a political issue id rather not go into political details against the wishes of the forum but feel free to u2u me for my email if u like to chat.

I visted amman for the first time 2 years ago, I also went to jarache and petra, all the tourist stuff. I enjoyed my trip very much although I didn't know much about purchasing ouds at the time so I didnt go hunting for one. But inshallah I can find some treasures the next time around.

Rami

H Rami;

It's great to know you have familly in BerZeit, I have too!! sorry I'm out of subject, it's because I can't log in to send messages with my current nickname and pass ?!?... Anyways if you know some famillies from berZeit you must know my familly.

salamat
chaldo
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 07:25 PM

palestine48,

Wow, I've been on this forum for a long time, and I just learned you are from Ramallah and the orignal clan. I'm a Zayed from the Shakara clan. Which family are you from?

Chaldo and palestine48, my cousin's wife is from Beirzet. She from the Sa'ada family. Any relation to you guys? She's originally from SF.

Sorry for being off topic, we can take this offline. My e-mail is samzayed@hotmail.com
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 09:25 PM

How great is this, One sad thing about palestinians is we were thrown all over the world but at the same time its such a great feeling to meet each other in these ways. It realy makes the world feel small.

Sam I am from the Sharakeh Clan, my last name is balat but down here in San Francisco we are commonly known as the Kharsa family. Name changed due to a funny store but my dad still goes by balat. A great aunt was kharsa( a deaf mute woman) and the name just stuck to half my family. Do you ever go to the Ramallah Conventions? I was at the last few consecutive ones, and probably will go to the one in New York, unless my dream comes true and I finally get to go to Ramallah itself.

And my mom is from the Sayij family in berzeit. The Sayij's along with the Nassers are a big family or were a pretty big family i believe. This is according to a berzeit society census report I read a few years ago. We have a clan relation to the Saadeh's but I pretty much only know the ones that live here in san francisco. If Your cousin's wife is from here then I am sure I know her family.

Chaldo,
My aunt lives in berzeit with her husand, their names are issa and odat abu diyeh. Its great to know you guys, its like a family reunion.

allah ya salemkom,

Rami
samzayed
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mashee el hal

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 11:40 PM

Rami, basically you and I are related, and I am sure our families know each other. You mentioned the Sayyij family of Beirzet. I have many relations that are married to that family. And, you mentioned that you are from the Sharakeh clan, not "Shakarah", by chance?

I've been to the last 8 conventions, I'm sure I've seen you around. I was there last year at San Jose. E-mail me, we'll take this offline . .

Take care cuz,

Osama Zayed
chaldo
Oud Junkie

Mood: archaic mood

[*] posted on 3-1-2005 at 02:50 PM

Quote:

Chaldo,
My aunt lives in berzeit with her husand, their names are issa and odat abu diyeh. Its great to know you guys, its like a family reunion.

allah ya salemkom,

Rami

Ya salaam, how this world is small ... hehe

My brother in law knows you aunt and her husband, Issa w 3Odee. Our familly is Abdallah, your parents must know really good our familly cause we are kind of all related. My brother in law's father is Kass Gerious widely known in ber zeit.

Quote:
Chaldo and palestine48, my cousin's wife is from Beirzet. She from the Sa'ada family. Any relation to you guys? She's originally from SF.

Well I live montreal Canada, and there is friends and relatives from your familly here in Montreal, they are from the sa3adee familly..

Great to know you all!!! great to also be in this great oud familly!
palestine48
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-1-2005 at 05:58 PM

Yeah this is all a trip. It is great to hear from you guys. Feel free to email me.

RKB_181@hotmail.com

Chaldo its great that you know my family. My khalto Odait vizited us a few months ago but my amo Issa I have not seen in years.

Sam ya Im from the Sharakeh side, I have friends who are the Shakarah Clan.

My closest relatives would probably be the Nazzal and Quwas families. But im sure you know the Sharakeh clans has the Totahs, Araj's etc. Well the whole village is related we heard the store thousands of times.

I was in San Jose too, I'm sure we ran by each other. Did you notice the Tableh player while Farah Farah from berzeit was singing at the banquet? Not the younger one but the older guy. That would be my oud teacher and uncle, George Dubai. Well not my real uncle but you know the drill with us arab. We related somehow.

Take care and email me guys,

Rami

Go To Top