Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Early Ottoman Music Book
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 05:26 AM

God - you have to CREATE AN ACCOUNT with those <b>shoot</b>s to buy it?

Anybody got a second-hand one?

Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 11:45 AM

Okay, problem solved. I know someone who's already signed up with them and he can get it for me.

Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-24-2018 at 03:34 PM

Amazon's invoice for this says it's being printed in the US - why? Surely it can be printed in the UK? (lulu prints locally).

Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 06:00 AM

Mine arrived, and while it's great to have it all, there are some problems.

Something odd happened in binding - the top edge has been squashed along a band an inch wide. I've handled vast numbers of books of all periods and price bands and never seen that before. Nothing torn or illegible, it just looks weird. No conventional publisher would try to sell something like that.

There are no editorial notes, not even a list of sources. Could Jonathan post them here?

Most seriously, the typesetting is really bad. Probably done with a very inflexible software package. Inter-staff spacing is usually far too much, wasting page area with pointless whitespace. While the notation is too small for easy readability. Some lines are squashed up, some pieces are spread over too many pages making for unnecessary page turns, and some pieces are printed sideways for no reason I can see. I can get much better print and layout quality with freeware, for music of similar scale - unfortunately I can't do microtones or I'd just reset Jonathan's book myself.

The only other print on demand book I've ever bought was Eric Ederer's "Makam and Beyond", from lulu.com - substantially bigger, cheaper and better produced.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top