Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Looking for a good luthier in Lebanon/Beirut
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-7-2017 at 06:57 PM
Looking for a good luthier in Lebanon/Beirut

" Edit September 30 2017 after buying a oud from Rabih Haddah and having problem with it. The rest of the story is here:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=17242
"

Actually I have a oud made by "Hafez Suleiman" from Syria that is lovely I must not complain its tune is FADGCF (high F), fixed bridge. I feel I need one of those oud offering great playability and high quality wood, easier to tune and stronger and precise sound. The budget may reach 1200 USD (or more ?) The problems are:

- I don't know luthiers here, to my knowledge Fadi Matta and Nazih Ghadban make great ouds, from what I have heard..

- I don't know the strategy to adopt in choosing a oud : try the sound and decide ? floating or fixed bridge? etc..
All I know is that I want to conserve the FADGCF tune :D
Syria is an excellent ressource of oud and luthiers but according to the actual risk in going there I prefer not to (or maybe shipping from syria to lebanon is possible ?)

I you can help me and orientate me in order to pick the Gem I would be very grateful ;)
Alfaraby
Oud Junkie

Mood: Cool

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 04:14 AM

Albert Mansour makes great ouds as well, along with Ghadban & Matta. Try the three of them and you may find the best for you.
Mostafa Sae'ed plays one of Albert Mansour's excellent ouds. He's on youtube.
Aside from the danger, Syria is NOT the place to expect an instrument of your high standard, let alone the sound !
In Damascus, you may find an antique oud though, if you're looking for one, but this's another opera.
Please share your experience here.
Good luck

Yours indeed
Alfaraby

alfarabymusic@gmail.com
zakiya_alali
Oud Junkie

Mood: Jameel Bashir is a Legand

[*] posted on 7-8-2017 at 07:29 AM

I heared that ouds are very expensive in Lebanon
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-9-2017 at 05:47 AM

As I recall, Ghadban's oud costs much more than 1200$..

Yes, ouds are expensive in Lebanon

I have heard that Sukar/Syria ouds are great that's why I talked about about Syria, maybe I am wrong as I have never tried one of his oud but I have listened to some of his ouds and it is interesting

I listened to Albert Mansour and to his oud, I am interested in this natural person and in the sound of his oud. Does my budget fit one of his high quality oud ?
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-11-2017 at 11:02 AM

I have a question concerning the tuning type. Which parameter define the tune ? the construction of the instrument itself or the strings type or both ?

let admit a Egyptian model whose tune is do, sol, Ré, La, Fa, Do. Can I tune it : Fa, do, sol, ré, La, Fa ?

I am considering buying on the internet too, there is obviously some European seller (Germany, France, I live in France the rest of the year)
actually looking at Murad El Turky oud, sound samples seems very nice

any opinion would be welcomed
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 02:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Al3Oud  
Rabih HADDAD - Zahlé lebanon
http://www.oudrabihhaddad.com/

Georges Bitar - lebanon
https://www.facebook.com/OudGeorgesBitar/

yes I was just looking at Geaorges Bitar Ouds, he gave me his number he is in in Zalka, I am considering to try one to see.

Buying directly from the maker is better ? I have in mind Shahine and Hawa music shops that have some ouds that I can see in one time, he also has Bitar ouds, is it less expensive to buy from the maker or it may be more expensive (for exactly the same oud of course) ?
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 08:14 AM

Hi Alloushé,
Good luck with your trip to Lebanon. I went to Shahin music during my last trip to Lebanon, I found the selection was not that good and a bit expensive for ouds. They focused more on western instruments. Best thing is for sure to go direct to the makers. They may not have anything ready for you and could potentially be above your set budget.

Regarding Sukar ouds, they were nice but he doesn't make them anymore, the factory was bombed out. So looking for used ones is your best option if you really want one.
Its the first time I read of Rabih Haddad, his ouds look a lot like Georges Bitar's. It could be worth checking him out.

Regarding the tuning from Fa to Fa. the Egyptian oud. If the oud has a 60 cm scale length you could try with some very low tension strings. Talk to Brian as http://www.oudstrings.com and he can recommend something. Its not usually recommended to tune Arabic ouds to Fa but many of these Egyptian ouds now come tuned Fa to fa from the makers as it is a popular tuning now in Egypt.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
devnull
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 11:43 PM

There's a relatively new oud workshop in Beirut. I think he's Syrian. I heaven't had time to check it out, but I'm planning to do so on my next trip. I don't know the name, but I was able to locate it on Google maps. Here's the coordinates 33.885711, 35.496751 (33°53'08.6"N 35°29'48.3"E).
Oud Freak
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud Jerk :)

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 11:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alloushé  
Hi everybody,

I am in Lebanon/ Beirut for some time and I wish to offer myself a high quality oud.

Actually I have a oud made by "Hafez Suleiman" from Syria that is lovely I must not complain its tune is FADGCF (high F), fixed bridge. I feel I need one of those oud offering great playability and high quality wood, easier to tune and stronger and precise sound. The budget may reach 1200 USD (or more ?) The problems are:

- I don't know luthiers here, to my knowledge Fadi Matta and Nazih Ghadban make great ouds, from what I have heard..

- I don't know the strategy to adopt in choosing a oud : try the sound and decide ? floating or fixed bridge? etc..
All I know is that I want to conserve the FADGCF tune :D
Syria is an excellent ressource of oud and luthiers but according to the actual risk in going there I prefer not to (or maybe shipping from syria to lebanon is possible ?)

I you can help me and orientate me in order to pick the Gem I would be very grateful ;)

Sent u a u2u.
Regards,

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-14-2017 at 03:11 PM

thanks for your replies guys, the websites and all your help/opinions are remarkably guiding me to the Gem, interesting links and music.

I am seriously considering Rabih Haddad oud. I like his profile, his serious works (certificates, patents,..) I tried some of them chez Chahine and the finition and the sound seem more than interesting for me. So I am planning to go and see him in Zahlé.

Also considering Georges Bitar oud, I contacted him, I may see him the next week in Zalka as he were in the Bekaa yesterday.

Ghdban's oud are out of budget for me for not that big difference in sonority (maybe ?), when you buy you also buy the name and the notoriety of the maker which is very normal.

I would give Albert Mansour a try but it seems that his ouds are also out of my budget ? what do you think guys ? I loved his personality on youtube, very lovely..

To be continued ;)

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 08:47 AM

I have already met Nazih Ghadban in his shop 5 years ago.

I visited A3awad Tarab in Salim Salam area 2 days ago. Very nice and lovely guy. I was not convinced.

I am planning to see Georges Bitar Rabih Haddad. Do you know where Albert Mansour is located in Beirut ?
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-15-2017 at 10:20 AM

Ok thanks I took his number and address from the first comment on the video.
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2017 at 08:25 AM

Hi everybody,

I got my new ebony oud (floating bridge) from Rabih Haddad. Natural person and beautiful piece. However i noticed some details that may need attention and wish to have your opinions.

See attached photos.

1- When I put a light facing the bowl, I can see light from the other side in at least 4 regions. It is like if there was ribs separation. Tried that on my old oud and no light infiltration, What do you think ? :photos 2-3-4

2- At the top of the neck, i can see something weird, it is not the same level.. (compare red arrows height) : photos number 1.

I need more than one opinion. Thanks.

4 by A M, on Flickr

2 by A M, on Flickr

1 by A M, on Flickr

5 by A M, on Flickr
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2017 at 02:51 PM

Hi, is it possible to take it back to Rabih?
It is a shame, I have tried one of his oud before and it was perfect.
It would be best to put your request in ''Advice, Tips, & Questions'' section in order to get a fast respond.
All the best

you mean to get it back to Rabih and get a refund ?
I will post in the right section, thanks
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2017 at 05:22 PM

Is it possible to take it back to Rabih for whatever you want, a refund/repair/another oud?

I will see Rabih soon but I need to know the gravity of the issues I described to be able to decide..

according to what you say...I feel it is something serious (?) can you please evaluate these issues in the photos ? why it appears there is light infiltration? something related to the construction of the oud ? not enough wood to fill the space ?
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-18-2017 at 11:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by alloushé  
Is it possible to take it back to Rabih for whatever you want, a refund/repair/another oud?

I will see Rabih soon but I need to know the gravity of the issues I described to be able to decide..

according to what you say...I feel it is something serious (?) can you please evaluate these issues in the photos ? why it appears there is light infiltration? something related to the construction of the oud ? not enough wood to fill the space ?

Hopefully you will very soon get some experts comments in the advice section to evaluate these issues in the photos.

MY OPINON:
We should not see these issues with a good maker. If it were me I would take it back to the maker to sort these issues.

Thanks for your help, I will meet Rabih next week. I will wait for additional opinions here. I was astonished when I discovered these issues, especially for the Oud price...For me, it means that the process of fabrication is not clean and even wondering if I must not change radically the Oud..
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-31-2017 at 03:46 AM

The rest of the story is here :

http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=17242
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 9-1-2017 at 08:21 AM

The uneven notch at the peg box is not a problem except for the cosmetic or visual appearance. In shaping the peg box sometimes the mounting surfaces get skewed in order to match the notch in the neck. As long as the glue joint is secure and the peg box in in alignment with the neck, it is not a problem.

The light leaks are common when the oud ages and the ribs shrink slightly, or even when built there may be some slight discrepancies in the edge fitting. If the body rattles or buzzes when tapped lightly with your finger (not fingernail!), the cracks can be filled with hide glue, but it is not a problem otherwise. If you can't find the cracks on the outside, they are already filled and you just see light coming through the clear glue.

Returning the oud is your decision, but these are cosmetic issues, not structural or sound related problems. I would base your decision on the sound and play-ability of this oud compared to another from the maker, as every oud is unique.

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 12:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Dr. Oud  
If you can't find the cracks on the outside, they are already filled and you just see light coming through the clear glue.

The cracks can be found on the outside.

Go To Top