Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: opening the oud to solve a buzz
Onglon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-12-2017 at 04:34 PM
opening the oud to solve a buzz

hi,

i was wondering if there is already a thread on how to open the oud?

mine has developed a buzz that i can't ignore anymore (akin to a hungry mosquito on a summer night).

It is located behind the bridge, and is most prominent when strumming the A note. The braces seem to be firmly in place from what i was able to feel with my hand through the hole, so not sure, and while it is not advisable for an amateur from what i read on the forum, i am willing to take the risk and give it a try (it is also an opportunity for me to learn a bit the mechanics).

thank you!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 06:25 AM

Please give us more information. Is this a floating bridge oud or does it have a fixed bridge? What tuning are you using and which of the several A notes do you mean? Are you referring to an open string? Does the buzz happen when that same pitch is fingered on a lower string? What do you mean by "open the oud"? Are you proposing that the top be removed?

The kind of a buzz you are describing can be caused by a string end at either the bridge end on a fixed bridge oud or at the pegbox end on any kind of oud. Even though a rattling string in the peg box is far from where you are detecting the buzz vibration it may have its origin there. A buzz can also be caused by a wound string whose winding is coming unravelled.

To "strum" means to play several strings at once. Are you saying that the buzz happens when you match a fingered A note with the same pitch on an open string?
Onglon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 07:30 AM

thanks for your response Jody. it is a sukkar fixed bridge. i am almost sure it is from within, hence my question on how to remove the top to access the braces.

i reached the conclusion after changing the strings and trying different brands, cutting the strings' end tightly and making sure they are not rattling against each others or against the peg box, and the other suggestions that i read on the forum.

also, yesterday, in exasperation, after posting my question, i took some blue-tack (the malleable gum used to hang posters on the wall) and insereted it inside the oud, around the brace that i thought is the culprit, to prevent its excess vibration, and the buzz stopped.

while not a clean solution, i will probably live with it for the time being as i am in the middle of "conquering" the bayati al-ayran and can't stop just now.

if you could provide some directions, i will be willing to venture into removing the top at some point and explore the inside of the beast for a more permanent solution.

many thanks!

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 09:37 AM

Excellent! Good detective work, Ongion.

Removing the top is a job for an expert. Also, some expert luthiers should be able to repair the brace without removing the top. The "secret" tools are a dentist mirror (or two) and a flashlight. The Sukar main sound hole is conveniently large so that a hand or even two hands can get in to the interior and do the work. And the smaller holes are good for the flashlight and mirror(s).
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 10:36 AM

Often the braces on Sukar ouds are not properly glued, or correctly attached to the ribs. While the fundamental workmanship is good, attention to these details is sometimes not and these repairs are commonly required. This is decent tradeoff as a few improvements can make a $400 Sukar oud competitive with many fancier $1000+ ouds.

It's likely that the brace was insufficiently glued to the top, or a slight warp in the brace or top created a separation that is causing the buzz (another possibility is it not being fully attached to the sides). These repairs can be done by a luthier without removing the top, a process that will likely make things worse if attempted by an amateur anyway. Please consult an expert for an evaluation of the problem.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Onglon
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-13-2017 at 12:30 PM

understood. thank you both
bulerias1981
Oud Junkie

Mood: John Vergara Luthier Lord of the Strings instrument making and repair