Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Pyramid oud Reesha
Amu Daria
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 05:25 PM
Pyramid oud Reesha

Good day to all,
I am a new oud player. I bought a really nice quality Turkish oud from Sala Musik in Istanbul.

My question is with regards to reesha. I noticed that Pyramid reesha seems to be popular among players and are available in multiple colours. I am also aware that there is other reesha on the market. My oud is quite loud so no need to have a horn reesha at this point. Looking for a soft reesha.

I am wondering what people would recommend a beginner oud player for reesha.
Cheers and thanks!
:airguitar:
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 06:23 PM

Most beginners prefer a flexible plectrum for its relative ease of use. A flexible Pyramid risha is nice. However: horn plectra do not make more sound than celluloid or other plastics. Any material may be crafted to be thin or thick or light or heavy. The difference between horn and synthetics is in the feel and in the type of sound produced and in the musical response. A horn risha may be thick or thin or very thin or whatever is wanted by the player.
neviditsin
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 8-16-2017 at 06:52 PM

What model of oud you buy? In sala
Amu Daria
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-17-2017 at 06:22 AM

I bought a Turkish oud model AO-101ML. I am left-handed.
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2017 at 09:13 AM

@ Jody Stecher
Interesting to hear that beginners prefer more flexible rishas. I try to play oud for about one year now, and my horn rishas are about 0.6 to 0.7 mm at the tip. Is that average or beginner's measure? What thickness do the pros play? I'm asking that because I find it difficult to make my tremolo exercises. Using the same risha for all strings does not work too good. When I do tremolo starting on c and go down to g and d everything is fine, but on the D string the tremolo gets more difficult, I often get stuck there. On the other hand, a thicker risha is more difficult to handle for me. What do you suggest? For me the tremolo is the hardest technique to master since I met the oud.

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2017 at 12:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by newlife_ks  
@ Jody Stecher
Interesting to hear that beginners prefer more flexible rishas. I try to play oud for about one year now, and my horn rishas are about 0.6 to 0.7 mm at the tip. Is that average or beginner's measure? What thickness do the pros play? I'm asking that because I find it difficult to make my tremolo exercises. Using the same risha for all strings does not work too good. When I do tremolo starting on c and go down to g and d everything is fine, but on the D string the tremolo gets more difficult, I often get stuck there. On the other hand, a thicker risha is more difficult to handle for me. What do you suggest? For me the tremolo is the hardest technique to master since I met the oud.

I would say 0.6 mm is light. In general I have found that the tremolo technique in particular comes easier to beginners with a thinner more flexible risha. Your experience of the heavier wound strings being more difficult for tremolo makes sense to me. There is more resistance and more bulk. So one must compromise .

I don't think there is a standard thickness that all pro players prefer. Some like it very heavy, some don't.

Your experience of a thicker risha being harder to handle is normal. Same for mandolin and guitar etc. Later on things may change for you.
Amu Daria
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 8-17-2017 at 02:38 PM

Thanks Jody and newlife_ks for your input, this is interesting! I will consider a horn reesha. Any vendors out there? I know Amazon has some and E-bay. Cost of shipping to Canada is often time ridiculously high.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 8-17-2017 at 03:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Amu Daria  
Thanks Jody and newlife_ks for your input, this is interesting! I will consider a horn reesha. Any vendors out there? I know Amazon has some and E-bay. Cost of shipping to Canada is often time ridiculously high.

If forum member "Bulerias" is still making horn rishi, these are excellent. He mailed mine in a regular letter envelope with a first class stamp. First class letter postage to Canada might work as well. Check out the John Vergara website for details:
http://www.johnvergaramusic.com/accessories.html
and this forum 7 years ago for other details and photos too:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=11289

Go To Top