Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud Taqsim
wally1212
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 8-25-2017 at 09:25 PM
Oud Taqsim

A very short bayati taqsim that I played. I hope you guys enjoy. Please tell me what you think. Thanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MW31iEj3A0
TonyM
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 9-8-2018 at 06:09 AM

This sounds great to me. Very authentic sounding. Wish I could come up with something like that!
Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-8-2018 at 12:17 PM

Hi Wally1212,
your rhythm is very good, keep it ,

If you accept my humble opinion, in charqi (oriental) maqams, particularly with quartertones, some rules have to be respected (as I teach them to my students...) : in summary :
1- The first phrase must be introductive to the maqam that you play, generally not longer than 10 to 15 seconds : you introduce the maqam. By this phrase, you say to the listener, ''I'm playing on bayat maqam"". if you don't do it in the firt, you do it in the second, you have to.
2- The second phrase, and so one, you start to elaborate as you did, but it must be a progression : phrases from D to F, to G (very important stop the G) where you can make changes (to others tetracords : hijaz on G, Nahawand G, Saba...) and you continue your progression higher (tetrachords rast G.... tetrachords Rast C... Hijaz kar on C). This might be a summit, after which you start to return gradually to your bayat on G, this is the conclusion.
This is a short summary of what is called : progression or in Arabic Massar.

Of course, this is not a must (to start absolutely on G as I said...), you can change, but this structure is very important, particularly in the beginning (learning taqssim).

If you want, I can make a short video for this structure... but you will find this structure in this beautiful taqssim on hijaz kaar kurd for Raouhi al-Khammach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWf-O70_9k

Good job ! and kke going !

Khalil

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-8-2018 at 02:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Khalil_Oud  
you will find this structure in this beautiful taqssim on hijaz kaar kurd for Raouhi al-Khammach.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWf-O70_9k

Khalil

Music like this is why I love the oud and maqam music. Since I discovered this video a few years ago I have watched and listened so many times. Not only is the taqsim well structured but each building block is beautiful musical phrase. My favorite moment is the transition from taqsim to sama'i. It is seamless. And what a great sama'i. Thank you, Khalil for reminding us all about this remarkable performance.
Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-9-2018 at 10:26 AM

You are welcome Jody !
I'm nostalgic to a oud playing lever as al-khammach, Sunbaty, Jamil Bashir and munir Bashir, yorgos, muhyeddin Hayder... schools !! :)

Go To Top