Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Sound problem with one course of (A) strings
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 12:43 PM
Sound problem with one course of (A) strings

I have a factory built Oud which was my first Oud. Since then I have acquired two much better quality Ouds. I still play my first factory Oud especially when I'm away from home. For fear of damaging my better quality Oud's I leave them at home. My question is regarding my first factory Oud. It's not the best quality Oud but plays nice and sounds okay . I tune my Oud's to DGADGC. I have noticed since I have had this factoy Oud that one course of strings out of six, my set of (A) strings sounds bad. This is with multiple sets of strings. So I don't think it's the strings. It sounds almost like a rubber band. That's also how my Oud teacher described it. The rest sound fine.

I hoping someone here can point me in the right direction to fix this sound problem with my (A) set of strings. Could it be the Oud? Then why is it only one course of strings out of six courses that sound this way? I purchased the Oud from the Oud center for $350.00. No tag inside.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Shukran ya shebbab.
alaaraj
Oud Junkie

Mood: Tuning!

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 01:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Edward6311  
one course of strings out of six, my set of (A) strings sounds bad.

Hello Edward

Do these strings cause buzz or what? Are the AA strings too close to each other or far apart? Is the nut made of wood?

Could you send some videos?

Kind regards

Onwards and upwards

HazRaj
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 02:07 PM

HazRaj,

Thank you for your response.

No buzzing, strings location good, except or the rosettes, the Oud is completely made of wood. When I play my open strings in sequence, the (A) completely stands out. It just sounds terrible, again the closest way to describe it is like a rubber band kind of twang.

Thanks again
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 9-2-2017 at 02:13 PM

Do you find the rubber band sound when fingering the AA course? Or is it only when AA is open? If only open then the cause is likely to be found at the nut. Loosen the AA strings and pull each out of their groove in the nut. Lay each string to the side of each nut groove and tune each back up to A. Now how does AA sound?

If it sounds ok then your nut grooves probably need to be re-shaped. It's a quick easy job For Someone Who Knows How To Do It.
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 9-9-2017 at 08:14 AM

The strings could be too close to the fingerboard at the top nut. There should be 1/2 mm clearance at the top. A top nut string grooves could also cause some distortion. The grooves should be smooth, round and slightly large than the string so it rests at the bottom of the groove. There needs to be an angle at the front edge, but the edge of the groove should be rounded over slightly. The material of the nut does not affect the sound, but the shape of the grooves can.

Go To Top