Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice please. Re fingerboard.
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 9-18-2017 at 07:20 AM
Advice please. Re fingerboard.

Dear members, My trusted and lovely Sukar oud has had 10 years of hard play and I have had to raise the action to avoid buzzing on the 3rd course on notes E half b and F. The adjustable action on Sukar ouds has made avoiding the buzz possible but now the action needs to be too high to avoid the buzz. The depressions in the fingerboard need sorting. The finger board has wear marks on the common notes on the 3rd and 4th course. Is there a resin or some kind of filler to build up the worn areas?. Is it a professional job?. All advice welcome. I would like to get it done and return the action to my preferred 2.5mm at the neck and body join. Thank you.

Best Wishes, Charlie
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 9-18-2017 at 11:10 AM

you can try CA "superglue" finish to level the holes. if you do this, you should bring back the action to the desired level before you apply the superglue treatment.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/superglue-fretless-fretboard-for-du...

In my opinion, its a decent workaround but I prefer the feel of natural ebony or rosewood under my fingers. might be time to change the fingerboard to something other than what comes on Sukars.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 9-19-2017 at 12:14 AM

Thank you Samir. I'm considering your suggestions. Liutfaristino, that's not a silly question, it's an option. Thinking through the problem and will choose a way forward.

Best Wishes, Charlie

Go To Top