Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Risha Technique
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 03:58 AM
Risha Technique

Hello everybody!

Since some weeks I'm working on my risha technique. Given a 60 - 70 bpm beat I play quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes and finally thirty-second notes on empty strings. Playing on the upper strings is fine, but playing A, F and C-string simply gets harder the higher the gauge gets. I don't get fluent tremolo on the thicker strings.

Sometimes it helps to start off slowly and increase tempo. But that's not what I'm looking for. I want a fluent tremolo right from the start.

I tried all kinds of rishas, thin or thick, with differently formed tips, but nothing seems to help. I fastened the risha grip, loosened it with no better results. Does anybody have clues how to improve tremolo?

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 06:20 AM

Try playing "air oud". With no oud nearby and no risha in your hand make the movement for tremolo. If you are able to do this fluidly and fast with no risha and no string then the cause of your problem can possibly be found somewhere between your elbow and part of the risha that touches the string. Search and you may find the cause of the blockage. Are you tightening your grip on the risha? Is your wrist position causing contact between the risha and string to be at a less than optimal angle?

Sometimes the cause of tremolo problems is found in unexpected places. About 7 years ago I developed an unusual problem. In the middle of a smooth tremolo the movement would stop. It was like the battery died. I stepped back from myself and realized the cause was that I was holding my breath during tremolo. When I resumed breathing I could resume tremolo.
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-9-2017 at 06:55 AM

Hello Jody!

I believe the problem is that the strings give higher resistance to the risha and so stop the movement somehow. As I said the higher strings are easier to play.

I hold my risha point at an angle of 40° to the soundboard, picking parallel to the strings and vertical too, not twisted as often seen on youtube where players are picking down towards the soundboard. My picking is strictly parallel to the soundboard.

charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 12:48 AM

Forget upstrokes, don't think about them or consciously do them, just play all down strokes as fast as you can and I mean real fast, down down down evenly with rhythm, using a very thin risha, very flexible plastic is easiest. Gradually allow the risha to touch the string as you return it on it's way to do each down stroke. Instant tremelo. Well almost but you'll see what I mean and make adjustments to grip, hand wrist position as you go. Enjoy. :airguitar:

Best Wishes, Charlie
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 02:44 AM

Thank you, Charlie!

I'll try what you suggested. On the other hand - if I use a very thin risha I believe I need wider movements of the risha in order to play loud passages. Softer passages will be ok I believe. What kind of all-purpose-risha do you use? In another thread someone said my horn rishas with about 0.6mm tip are beginner's rishas. What do the pros use?

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-10-2017 at 07:16 AM

https://youtu.be/T7B04gWo270

I posted this a while back. It's a good exercise to try.
Trémolos require a good initial attack to maintain the momentum and energy.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 12:30 AM

Thanks Samir!

Now that's kind of advanced tremolo, man! I'm going to work on that too. Seems a long way to go for me . . .

Go To Top