Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Heard of this maker? Worth restoring?
yavaran
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 06:33 PM
Heard of this maker? Worth restoring?

Recently met a woman whose father brought her this oud from Turkey years ago for her to learn. The oud is dated as 1931 and the label says ""S Adil, Altin mizrap alati muziki, Ticaret Hanesi, izmir kececiler 57, 12/12/1931"

The soundboard is unfortunately cracked and some rosettes are damaged, but otherwise it seems to be in relatively good shape. Interestingly it is configured for the low bass string in the old style rather than the single course being at the top.

Is Adil a known maker? I researched (in turkish and english) and unfortunately nothing came up. I fear this is perhaps a sort of 'mass produced' oud, although I wonder if that was even common in the 1930s.

Is it in any way a quality oud worth restoring? What would it even cost to restore? I am in new york city, by the way.

I am helping her as a favor to do some investigating into this--any info or leads on the origins of such an instrument are appreciated.

Photos here:
https://imgur.com/a/x5pb1
Danielo
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-11-2017 at 11:24 PM

Hi,

I found this :
http://www.klasikmuzikevi.com.tr/en/index.php

"Salim ÖZER, Luthier
He was born in Sivas in 1952. In 1963, Salim Özer started to make piano and violin by working as an apprentice and the master of apprentice near the world-wide famous Adil İMER and İlyadis YAVYADİ. "

You should contact them maybe for more information.

yavaran
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 11:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Danielo  
Hi,

I found this :
http://www.klasikmuzikevi.com.tr/en/index.php

"Salim ÖZER, Luthier
He was born in Sivas in 1952. In 1963, Salim Özer started to make piano and violin by working as an apprentice and the master of apprentice near the world-wide famous Adil İMER and İlyadis YAVYADİ. "

You should contact them maybe for more information.

That looks interesting, but I do not think this S. Adil is the same as Adil Imer, as it seems Adil is the last name of the luthier on this oud....
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-12-2017 at 04:15 PM

I would restore this oud if I was in your shoes. 1931 ouds are not very common and it isn't in that bad a shape.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
yavaran
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 04:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
I would restore this oud if I was in your shoes. 1931 ouds are not very common and it isn't in that bad a shape.

Thanks Samir--do you think that is still worth it though despite the very severe cracks in the sound board?

I assume that sound board may need to be replaced given how large these cracks are.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 10-13-2017 at 05:06 AM

Yes those should close up with some hide glue and tape pressure. Worst thing you can insert a spruce patch if it gets to wide to close up. I wouldn't trash that soundboard it's the whole reason for fixing it up.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com

Go To Top