Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A Textual description of restringing an oud
TheBlindBard
Oud Lover

Mood: Fascinated

[*] posted on 10-31-2017 at 11:48 AM
A Textual description of restringing an oud

Hello all :)
I'm not restringing my oud just yet, since strings on it are new, but I was wondering if somebody could describe textually which string goes to which peg and how to tie the knot for the bridge. There are 11 pegs atm. Starting on the left side of the head nearest to the thick strings, the knobs closest to the fingerboard, 1 and 2, have the A strings, DABE(A)D, on them. going up two knobs, there are the E strings in bead. then at the very top, is the A strings in D(A)BEAD
on other side of the headstock, the first two knobs closest to fingerboard have dabea(d). going up two, that covers B, then the thickest string is on the fifth knob.
Is this correct?
Thank you
Edessa
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 02:06 AM

I've recently done the job.

I used the below sites and watched the video on youtube made by a guy from arabinstruments. I was able to complete the task successfully. Btw I used the top-right type of knot for the nylon strings and the top-left type of knot for wound strings.

I think I slightly changed the order in which I installed the new strings to the corresponding pegs though.
I just went from the closest to the nut to the furthest, putting in the appropriate strings according to the diagram.

http://oudipedia.info/stringing.html
http://www.oudcafe.com/stringing_and_tuning.htm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6YUxul7cSo

Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 03:56 AM

Hi again Bard,

I guess we each have slightly different methods for attaching the strings at the bridge. I use the same technique as used on classical guitars. With the oud on your lap in the direction used when playing right handed, push the string though the hole towards the base of the instrument (left to right). When you have a couple of inches (50mm) protruding, bring that end back across the bridge and under the string where it exits in front of the bridge. Then back across the bridge and loop it under itself at the back of the bridge, not at the top, as it will hold better when the string is under tension. With the thinner treble strings, you may need to pass it through itself a couple of times, to give it more holding power.

Now, the fun part is putting each string on the correct peg. Not everyone follows this same method, but this will work. Let's number the strings in order 1 to 11; numbers 1 and 2 being the first two treble strings and number 11 being your bass string.

With the oud in the right hand playing position, you will have five (in use) pegs pointing towards the floor, let's number these starting from the nut of the instrument, 1, 2, 7, 8 & 11. Then you should have 6 pegs, pointing towards the ceiling. Starting at the nut, these should be used for strings 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 & 10.

As I said, there is some variation to this method, usually in the placement of strings 9, 10 & 11. Most folks put string 11 on the final ceiling-pointing peg and the next two bass strings, one up and one down, but the above will work fine for ouds with both Arabic and Turkish tuning (and is somewhat easier to remember when trying to find the right peg to tune).

Good luck,

Greg

MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 04:06 AM

^^ This is how i do it as well as it seems to work.
The trick is the last few strings (9-11) depending on the OUD.
I have strung my 7 course a bit different than the 6 course, but ultimately, we want strings in the pegbox area to touch as little as possible, if not at all. When they do touch, weird vibration noises can ensue and thus people sometimes wrap things in the pegbox to avoid rubbing, but if you string it correctly, you can avoid all that.
I have strung my 2 ouds a couple times now already. I like fresh strings so change more often than most. Plus it is good practice :)

My big problem is tuning. It takes me longer than i would like because i always forget which string goes where :) This is the problem with being a guitar player and Oud player like I am, stringing different instruments all the time...
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 04:48 AM

The pattern for Armenian oud is as follows, with the positions described with the oud in playing position and the strings in ascending order of thickness:

2 on the bottom (closest to nut). dd
2 across from that. aa
2 beside that. ee
2 across from that (which will be beside dd) BB
for the next 3 it varies. usually the AA (5th course) is split, with one on each side and then the single bass course on the top.
TheBlindBard
Oud Lover

Mood: Fascinated

[*] posted on 11-1-2017 at 07:19 AM

Wow, so my luthier did do it right. Very interesting that you have chocie to have one string on each side.
Thank you all for your help :)

Go To Top