Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cins in turkish and Armenian music
TheBlindBard
Oud Lover

Mood: Fascinated

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 09:02 AM
Cins in turkish and Armenian music

Hello all
So I've been trying to research and learn about the cins in turkish and Armenian music and am finding a bit of info. I come from a background with quite a lot of western theory in my head. The cins themselves aren't the confusing part. it is makams-- it seems like with a particular cins, let's take hicaz, since I have been working on that one. I play most of my stuff in D or G, so, cins hicaz in D is D Eb F# G. The part that confuses me is blending it with other cins to make a makam. Can you just take any old cins, let's take the one that is first four notes of a minor scale. Could I go through cins hicaz, then on G switch over to the minor cins and have a makam?
I realize that I am opening a can of worms with this. I am wanting to learn some of this traditional Armenian/turkish music but am fairly confused.
Thank you all
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 09:30 AM

There are four varieties of makam Hicaz which already do what you are interested in doing:

The standard Hicaz has a Hicaz tetrachord followed by a Rast pentachord (i.e., Rast on g)
Hicaz Humayun has a Hicaz tetrachord followed by a Buselik pentachord (i.e., the five notes of the minor scale g a b-flat c d)
Uzzal has a Hicaz pentachord followed by an Uşşak (Bayati) tetrachord on a
Zirguleli Hicaz has a Hicaz pentachord followed by a Hicaz tetrachord on a

These four established makams combine the Hicaz cins with four different cins types and give you various possibilities for modulation. You could try pieces in these makams to learn how the melodic lines and modulations work. You could also try other possible cins combinations with Hicaz, some of which may not fit in a pleasing way.
TheBlindBard
Oud Lover

Mood: Fascinated

[*] posted on 11-3-2017 at 11:00 AM

so, thsi particular video has got me wanting to learn it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhctHLt4xK0&list=RDmhctHLt4xK0
Just from sound alone, I'm guessing there is some major cins in there, not sure what is starting note.
So, as far as the cins go, they are very flexable and open to changing thigns around? so, start hicaz on D, switch to something else on G, then coming back up from D can switch to something else?
Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for explaining :) is there a comprehensive lsit of all makams somewhere to look over?

Go To Top