Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Strings
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-10-2017 at 08:50 AM
Strings

Hey Everyone!

So the past year has been a challenging one for me for many reasons that I won't get into, except to say in the end it's all positive. Unfortunately, as a result it's been difficult to keep up with all the details of running OudStrings.com, particularly the large volume of email I receive and managing inventory across so many brands and options.
I'm finally getting a handle on things and have just updated the site's inventory. I've gotten a large shipment of Aquila strings and am pretty well stocked on LaBella, Pyramid and D'addario as well.
I put a lot of effort into expanding my custom set offerings, as I feel that the standard sets rarely meet people's needs. To give an overview, here are some things maybe you missed:

Custom LaBella Lute strings sets - silver-plated copper or plain copper with rectified nylon strings. These are very good and only about 40% the cost of a comparable Pyramid lute set.

Custom D'addario MultiOud sets - I calculated the tensions of the set that Godin recommends for F-f' and applied the same approach to Arabic standard C-c' and Turkish C#-d'. I also made some lighter sets for anyone that wants to experiment.

Custom Pyramid Lute strings sets - these are still the finest strings, in my opinion, and have the most options and allow you to fine-tune the tension to a degree not possible with any other string. Since Pyramid doesn't offer PVF in every gauge, I have some PVF from Savarez now listed as an option.

Custom Aquila Lute string sets - Not the same as their "oud" sets, the strings are plain copper on nylgut core, and the trebles are rectified nylgut for perfect intonation. These are great strings and an excellent value.

Aquila individual trebles - I had to advocate with Aquila for months, but eventually they relented and made the plain "oud" trebles available again. They are available in three options, for "Turkish" (lightest gauge), "classic Arabic" (medium gauge), or "Iraqi" (heavier gauge).

And of course, a full range of nylon trebles from LaBella, Pyramid, Savarez and D'addario. If you don't see what you're looking for, just ask — not all the options are listed.

If you prefer wounds from one brand and trebles from another, send me a message and we can create a mixed set.

If you've sent me a message and haven't heard from me, please don't hesitate to check in again — I'm trying to catch up on old messages but some may have slipped through the cracks.

Thanks for all your support and patience!

-Brian
oudstrings.com

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
stos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 08:38 AM

Hi brian!

I never tried the labella lute and I'm thinking ginving them a try

could you tell me what would be the diameter to choose for D G a d g c?

would it be possible to mix the wounded strings with pyramid lute pvf?

thanks!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 11-14-2017 at 05:12 PM

Hi, Stos!
Please send me an email through the contact form and we can figure it out. I also need the scale length of the oud.
I can mix Pyramid with LaBella if you like.

best,
Brian
http://www.oudstrings.com/index.php?route=information/contact

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Humam
Oud Maniac

Mood: Rast

[*] posted on 12-13-2017 at 05:34 PM

Hi Brian,

I have a floating bridge Oud, and I always buy the LABELLA ARABIC OUD STRINGS FADGC'F' SET OU80A:

http://www.oudstrings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=...

And I don't have any issues with these guys.

However, since you are mentioning that Pyramid is the finest strings. I'm curious what set would be a good choice for a floating bridge F-f Oud.

Regards

Humam
Jack_Campin
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-14-2017 at 05:11 AM

Are you likely to branch out into cümbüş strings sometime? Getting good ones is difficult.

stos
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-23-2017 at 01:27 AM

Hello Brian!

Did you receive my e-mails about labella lute strings?

thanks a lot!
Edward6311
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-23-2017 at 04:08 PM
Strings

Brian,

I am hoping you can assist me in finding the right set of strings for my 3 Ouds. I use the tuning of DGADGC on all 3. One Oud was built by Hassan Mohamed Zayoud in Nazereth Palestine in 1961 with a string length of 61.5 cm, one is a Syrian factory made Oud with a string length of 60 cm and the 3rd is a Faruk Turunz single custom Arabic Oud with a string length of 58.5 cm. I like the warmer Arabic sound rather than the sharper Turkish sound.

What would you recommend.

Thank you
Edward

Go To Top