Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tuning the Oud---This one is different
Hilou
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 05:20 PM
Tuning the Oud---This one is different

Maraha?
Hi hows it going, I've had my two ouds for quite a while now and I have been having such and unbelievable difficult time tuning it.
I have tried countless times but it takes soo long to tune each string, and once I do they become untuned rather quickly.
For now i preforum my takisims etc on a regular 6 string (nylon) guitar, its pretty interesting, I should get some recordings up soon.
Anyways thanks,
Allah ma'ac.
Thanks
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 06:18 PM

Do a search of the forums on tuning and you'll find many suggestions and remedies for this problem. It is a very common problem with cheap tourist ouds (the Syrian ones for certain.) I had to redo the holes and reshape the pegs on mine. If you do not someone who has the proper tools for the job and you have to buy them or had it fixed by a luthier then it will cost you about the same price for a cheap tourist oud. I have posted a link in one of the threads to a site that shows you how to shape the pegs without the tool, but it takes a lot of skill and patience. I think you achieve more uniform and effective results with the tool much quicker and much easier. Either way it'll take a certain level of skill.
Hilou
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Elie Riachi
Do a search of the forums on tuning and you'll find many suggestions and remedies for this problem. It is a very common problem with cheap tourist ouds (the Syrian ones for certain.) I had to redo the holes and reshape the pegs on mine. If you do not someone who has the proper tools for the job and you have to buy them or had it fixed by a luthier then it will cost you about the same price for a cheap tourist oud. I have posted a link in one of the threads to a site that shows you how to shape the pegs without the tool, but it takes a lot of skill and patience. I think you achieve more uniform and effective results with the tool much quicker and much easier. Either way it'll take a certain level of skill.

Well, with all due respect, I don't think that my Oud is cheap...It was very expensive.
Could you direct me to the link, It would be greatly appreciated.
EDIT: Also the link of the tool if it is sold online, it would be equally appreaciated
Alan
Oud Junkie

Mood: Mellow Yellow

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 06:50 PM

If the pegs and holes do not match well then there will always be a problem. A good luthier/ violin maker can ream the hole for a correct fit if needed.

When tuning friction pegs make sure to keep some inward pressure to keep the peg tight in the pegbox. When tuning the pegs in the upper row rest the pegbox on your leg so you don't put too much pressure on the neck.

Make sure the groove in the nut is smooth and sized right for your strings. Wound strings often get caught in a poorly made or missized grooves and jump up or down in large steps while tuning

I am sure other more experience players can give more information
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 09:07 PM

Here is a link to a few of the many threads on this subject:
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=909#pid6308

Go To Top