Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud size/strings length and playability
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-2-2017 at 05:04 PM
Oud size/strings length and playability

Oud lovers,
Although it's known that the 58.5 strings length with medium/small size oud structure provides better playability, it is not the case with me.
I play much better and much more comfortably using bigger oud. I don’t know exactly why...probably because I am a bit on the tall side. .my arms ar tall....my risha hand gets closer to the bridge naturally, which is my favorite picking area....my shoulders sit comfortably. ....my posture is natural ...or any other reasons.
On smaller ouds I force my body to a certain posture apparently which causes tension and unnatural arm and hand movement.
Am I the only one here??
Cheers
Omar
majnuunNavid
Oud Junkie

Mood: Dude, where's my Oud?

[*] posted on 12-3-2017 at 11:26 AM

I also prefer larger Ouds. When I used to play Persian Barbat, it was quite uncomfortable.

It's strange because I'm only 5ft 6 inches, so I'm not the largest person. But larger Ouds fit into my arms, chest better, it sort of just locks into place and I never require anything to keep the bowl from slipping or to make it more stable.

Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 01:27 PM

Thanks Navid ;)
MattOud
Oud Junkie

Mood: Feeling Pretty G'Oud

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 03:55 PM

I am finding the same thing Omar. At first, because i am a newer player, I thought maybe it was my posture or something, but now I have learned I like the bigger oud as well. I have 3 ouds. One is 62, one is 61.5, and the last is 58.5. I have been thinking of selling the 58.5 but am still waiting to see because it is so nice otherwise...
In fact, i have one oud at the local luthier right now getting some things done, and I asked him what size oud he makes and prefers and he said 65, and i was surprised thinking that may be big, but many like his iranian ouds at this size. I want to try it one day to see, but everytime he says i can, it is sold before i get there :) One day i will time it right!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-4-2017 at 03:57 PM

Personally, I have found about 60-61cm to be ideal

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 12:19 AM

Thanks Matt!
Thanks Brian!
Well, the difference in my case is to obvious to ignore. Switching immediately from the smaller size to the bigger or the other way around shows that the bigger for me is more ideal.
I have to agree also with the opinion that it is absolutely a personal preference, and maybe playing style as well.
I started to believe that the bigger size ouds are more suitable for those who pick closer to the bridge. Do you agree?
Brian, I know that one of your favourite ouds is your modified Sukkar's, which is a 60er. Is your favourite comfortable picking zone close to the bridge?
cheers,
Omar
charlie oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: chords prefer frets

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 01:28 AM

Actually Omar I think I may be the other way round. I am 6ft tall and have long arms but I feel more comfortable on my Al Khalifa (58.5cm) than I do on my Sukar (61.5cm). I play near the bridge and find the bowl of the Al Khalifa is the right shape for me. My right side shoulder can sit more naturally back so it is no more forward than my left. This is very important for posture on all instruments. The shoulders must be aligned with each other. I can get comfortable on the Sukar as well but the bowl shape is not as comfortable to sit with. But as you say, this is all about personal comfort and preference.

Best Wishes, Charlie
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 02:12 AM

Hello
difficult issue because i feel it so personnal.
A first i thought the tension i was feeling was coming from the length and width of the bowl, but the more oud i try the more i think it is the bowl depth wich is a poblem for me. Like 18-19 cm depth i feel good and relax to play. Beginning 20cm begin to appear problems to play tension and fatigability. Smaller ouds like 16-17 cm depth are not easy to keep stable for me.
For exemple i will be confortable on a 49cm length and 18.5 depth bowl. If the bowl get 50 maybe i need less depth, like 18. But put me in hand a 50cm length and 20 depth oud for sure i will not feel good to play long time on it
i'm like 180cm tall
ANother thing also is the string spacement at the bridge, i tried 85mm 80mm 75mm clearly 85 is the good one for me. 75mm my playing get confuse if i want to get technical
I dont feel stringlength deal so much with my playability. I feel it more like an habit. I always played 58.5 ouds, and feel normal on 58.5 or 57 ouds. I think i can habit easy to 60 also, but even better to play the quarter tones with a longer neck.
When you talk of stringlength and playing nearer of the bridge, when the stringlength get shorter the bridge move forward, to the nut. So at a same position of playing i think one would play nearer of the bridge on a shorter stringlength isnt it ? Anyway i'm not sure playing near or far from the bridge deals with playability but more the sound you produce, dont you think ?
Best regards

SamirCanada

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 05:46 PM

For me I have found that between 58.5 to 60 is best. I like having the notes closer together. But most importantly for me is string tension when tuned to 440hz. I like the feeling of slightly looser strings and I like the possibility of tuning with a high Fa string. It's also why I tune down often if I am not playing with an ensemble, makes fingering on the strings easier. I am also considerate of long term effects of high tension on instruments.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 12-5-2017 at 06:38 PM

Another thing to consider is arm position. I learned to play like Simon Shaheen, with the arm coming around parallel to the strings, over the bridge. Many players come over the top of the oud instead, at an angle to the strings. how you feel about different sized ouds (including the bowl) might be impacted by this.

Regarding note spacing, I like the spacing of 60-61 since there is enough space that intonation is easier but not so far apart that there is a lot of stretching or extra hand motion.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top