Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Online oud lessons!
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

Mood: inspired

[*] posted on 3-2-2005 at 09:09 PM
Online oud lessons!

Hey all,

I've had this idea for a really long time and I thought maybe I would run it by some folks on the forums to see if anyone has the resources to make this happen. Becuase of the wide distribution know of oud players, many people find it very hard to get lessons. For myself, I have had to do this thing almost completely on my on. These forums have been helpful but nothing can compare to a one on one lesson. So, my idea is to some how create a source where oud players can get online and have lessons. With the distribution of highspeed internet connections now, I think that it is very possible and may even be a success. It would be something through webcam and a simple computer mic I guess. This might also become an easy way for experienced players to make some extra cash by just sitting infront of the computer for an hour while also providing the needed lessons for learners. I, sad to see, do not have the know how to start something like this. I am a physics major and don't know anything about computers :(. If someone out there is interested in this idea , lets toss some ideas around and see if this is possibility.

Thanx,
Adnan
mavrothis
Oud Junkie

Mood: big band envy

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 07:18 AM

Hi Adnan,

I just wanted to let you know that your idea is definitely very possible. I have two good friends in San Francisco who studied Greek bouzouki over the internet using cams/mics on their computers from one of the top bouzouki players in Athens, Greece (Nikos Tatasopoulos).

Payments could be done through paypal or something. Of course, there might be occasional problems with connections, freezing frames or something, but it's probably not a bad alternative to being on your own. :)

Take care,

mav :)

http://www.mtkontanis-music.com

"...desirable and comfortable as culture may be, an artist should not lie down in it. "
--Edgard Varèse
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 08:52 AM

Great idea Adnan. Maybe someone can talk Mr. Issa Boulus at the University of Chicago (or other Oud instructors at some college) into offering an online distant learning course using electronic Blackboard or other online learning environment. Students will probably have to enroll in the course as a regular university course but they can be anywhere in the world with an Internet connection. Also setting up internet conferencing is another possibility and I think it can be done with MSN massenger using a webcam and a mic. I am not sure how many simultaneous video confrences can be going at the same time. But great idea and very practical. Like Mav said, payment can be done using paypal or even by a personal check.
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 02:48 PM

Hey,

Elie, I have never taken an online course before but I know that it is a very common thing. If this program, Blackboard, or something similar can be obtained by anyone, It might work for people giving private lessons. Do you know where this program or something similar can be purchsed?
Also, doesn't Jameel know Mr. Boulus on a personal level? Maybe he can check with him if an online music course is possible.

Thanx
Adnan
Elie Riachi
Oud Junkie

Mood: Gebran Tueni Lives For Ever, 12-12-05.

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 04:43 PM

Hello Adnan,

I am not certain on what all is required at the source to run Blackboard or WebCT. But at minimum it must be ran on a server and requires a domain name. I think the best way for an individual to provide lessons online is by using MSN massenger to do video confrencing, it works well most of the time, its free and widely available on any windows machine.
mysticoud
Oud Addict

Mood: YAY!

[*] posted on 3-5-2005 at 09:38 PM

I think a voice conferencing program would work, along with study sheets, etc. This is a program I've used for online gaming, all that you need is someone with a decent connection to act as the server for the clients. Teamspeak2 dedicated servers are only about $10 a month, but you could set up your own for free. The program is totally free.

http://www.goteamspeak.com/news.php

This would also be a good way for members of this forum to meet and play.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 12:44 AM
Revaldo

what's up Adnan I tried sending you a u2u let me know if you got it... its concerning this thread
latter Samir
revaldo29
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-12-2005 at 02:03 PM

Hi samir,

I just read it and I added you. I don't have a webcam though. I'll go get one when I have a chance. btw, I use my gmail account, not my msn.

Go To Top