Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beginner looking for Oud in Australia
biffbang
Oud Admirer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 12:50 AM
Beginner looking for Oud in Australia

Hi,

I'm thinking about finally learning the oud (I'm an intermediate level guitarist), and would like to pick up a nice but fairly inexpensive instrument. Can anyone give me some recommendations about where to look.

I would be especially keen if anyone can let me know if there is anywhere in Melbourne that may stock ouds. Otherwise good retailers, makers that will ship to Australia?

Cheers,
Ian
Greg
Administrator

Mood: Serene

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 01:52 AM

Hi Ian,

You could start by looking at the inexpensive Turkish ouds imported by Bas Trading (423 Victoria Street, Brunswick).
These are only slightly better than tourist models, but may be okay as a starter instrument.

Whilst in Brunswick, it is worth checking out all the local pawnshops. Sometimes it is possible to pick something up there. Take a camera with you to get photos of the labels from any pawn-shop oud. Posting them on this forum will normally result in some expert advice as to the quality of the instrument. Having an experienced player with you whilst looking is also a very good idea.

I am in Brisbane, but may be abe to give you some further help by way of email. Please U2U me your contact details.

Regards,

Greg

Go To Top