Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Charbel Rouhana's books in USA?
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-15-2018 at 02:27 PM
Charbel Rouhana's books in USA?

Hi all,

Has anyone in the US had luck getting Charbel Rouhana's "Maqam El-Oud" vols. I & II?

I seem to recall that a Maronite church in Virginia was selling it at one point, but I can't seem to find the contact information now. Was it ever available from anywhere online?
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 1-15-2018 at 05:46 PM

Hi,

Here is the post from 2016:
------------------------
In the USA, the 2 volumes are available from:
Saint Anthony Maronite Catholic Church.
Address: 4611 Sadler Road - Glen Allen - Richmond, Virginia.
ZIP Code: 23060
Tel number: +1 (804) 270-7234

I would give that number a call. There is no website.
They are very thorough and exacting books. Good luck!
--------------------------

By "oudistcamp" in this thread: http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=518

Let us know the result!

-J
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 08:46 PM

I contacted them today and heard back that both volumes are available together for $100 (incl. shipping). A bit steeper than I was hoping, but probably worth it.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 1-16-2018 at 10:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ChanningPDX  
I contacted them today and heard back that both volumes are available together for $100 (incl. shipping). A bit steeper than I was hoping, but probably worth it.

Whoa! Can you post a small sample when they arrive?
oudistcamp
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 02:08 AM

The 2 books contain lessons from Grade 1 to 8. $100 is equivalent to about 2 private lessons.
It would take a serious oud student from 2 to 4 years to reach the end of the book, if each lesson is well practised and analysed.
The most comprehensive book in English I have used.

If you are studying the oud for the occasional folk tune, or accompaniment to a song, you may find these books filled with too much detailed techniques and foundational information.
But if you are on a lifelong journey, these books will guide you well.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 1-19-2018 at 10:51 AM

Shipping books from Lebanon is very expensive, even if you're getting them in the USA you are still paying for them to have been brought here somehow.

An option to consider is if you attend Simon Shaheen's Arabic Music Retreat in August, Charbel is usually teaching there. If you asked him to bring copies of the books for you I expect he would.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 11:58 PM

Just as a quick follow-up here: I contacted Msgr. Sebaali, and the Saint Anthony Maronite Catholic Church still had copies in stock. Total cost for both volumes was $100 ($40 per book plus $10 for shipping per book). Response was prompt. I got the books exactly one week after putting my check in the mail.

As others have mentioned, there is more than enough material in books to keep a serious learner (which I hope to be) very busy for several years at the very least.

Now to get cracking...
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 08:00 AM

Just as a quick follow-up here: I contacted Msgr. Sebaali, and the Saint Anthony Maronite Catholic Church still had copies in stock. Total cost for both volumes was $100 ($40 per book plus $10 for shipping per book). Response was prompt. I got the books exactly one week after putting my check in the mail.

As others have mentioned, there is more than enough material in books to keep a serious learner (which I hope to be) very busy for several years at the very least.

Now to get cracking...

Would you be willing to post a sample or two? I have a PDF of his "old" oud book and wouldn't have paid $100 for it, but the rumor on the street is that this "new" one is better.
ChanningPDX
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 01:46 PM

I don't want to get mixed up in any copyright issues, but this video from fellow forum member Fadel gives a pretty good sneak peek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN6Ht4aB05k

I haven't seen the old edition, but I think someone commented in another thread that there had been some significant revisions and improvements to the new edition.

For a beginner like myself, I would say that the new edition of both books is definitely worth the price. I imagine that even a relatively able and experienced player would be challenged by some of the higher-grade material, particularly in the second book. The only thing that would make it better would be to have audio or (preferably) video examples to go with some of the exercises and the pieces, but ideally, one should be using the book as a complement to instruction from a teacher anyway, I suppose.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 08:10 PM

I don't want to get mixed up in any copyright issues, but this video from fellow forum member Fadel gives a pretty good sneak peek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN6Ht4aB05k

I haven't seen the old edition, but I think someone commented in another thread that there had been some significant revisions and improvements to the new edition.

For a beginner like myself, I would say that the new edition of both books is definitely worth the price. I imagine that even a relatively able and experienced player would be challenged by some of the higher-grade material, particularly in the second book. The only thing that would make it better would be to have audio or (preferably) video examples to go with some of the exercises and the pieces, but ideally, one should be using the book as a complement to instruction from a teacher anyway, I suppose.

Thanks! The video is quite helpful. Whether or not I purchase the book, I might steal a few of his exercises for my teaching!

Go To Top