Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Maqam Question: Maghreb vs. Mashriq
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 1-31-2018 at 11:30 PM
Maqam Question: Maghreb vs. Mashriq

An oud player friend from a Facebook forum posted the following question: "Is there a relationship between Moroccan Sikah and Levantine Sigah?"

I don't know enough about North African music to even start to answer this question.

Any experts out there?

Thanks,
"Udi" John
suz_i_dil
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 01:50 AM

Hello

just a contribution to think this question, far from an expert opinion one can tell
But yes i think you have a relation ship

Sikah is a word of farsi origin meaning third (third degree of the scale, i found this in a book from Abd el Rahman Jabaqji, Tahlil Al Angham Fi 3ilm Al Maqam)

Quarter notes have been imported from east, i'm not sure you had an autochton moroccan tradition for modes likes sikah
check :
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=17308#pid11...
and as described in this book page 28
https://books.google.fr/books?redir_esc=y&hl=fr&id=KWw4rVOdb...

At least this may answer the question of the relationship.

Then, If you want to know if their is a difference in the way of interpretation nowadays, would need to make a comparative study of moroccan pieces with pieces from the original area of the maqam of interst, in its developement and also tune (sika note is rather high for exemple in turkish way when you compare to arabic music)

Regards

al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 08:52 AM

The traditional mode (tab') of sika in Moroccan music has a basic diatonic scale that extends from E to e (E F G A B c d e), although in ascending melodic movements F# may replace F and in descending melodic movements Bb may replace B. The set of intervals of this mode is therefore quite different from that of sika/segah in the Mashriq, in which the first degree is flattened by roughly a quarter tone, and several other degrees of the scale (the 4th, 5th, and 7th) are likewise lowered or raised by some fraction of a tone (although in somewhat different measures in Arab and Turkish music).

A number of Moroccan modes share the names of modes used in the Mashriq (Rast, Iraq, Hijaz, Ushashaq, Hisar), but they display quite different intervalic structures and melodic patterns. The Moroccan modes lack the microtonal intervals characteristic of music in the Mashriq and that naturally creates one key distinction between the two.

The basic scales of Moroccan modes are displayed in La musique classique du Maghreb by Mahmoud Guettat, pp. 265-267.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 10:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by suz_i_dil  
Hello

just a contribution to think this question, far from an expert opinion one can tell
But yes i think you have a relation ship

Sikah is a word of farsi origin meaning third (third degree of the scale, i found this in a book from Abd el Rahman Jabaqji, Tahlil Al Angham Fi 3ilm Al Maqam)

Quarter notes have been imported from east, i'm not sure you had an autochton moroccan tradition for modes likes sikah
check :
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=17308#pid11...
and as described in this book page 28
https://books.google.fr/books?redir_esc=y&hl=fr&id=KWw4rVOdb...

At least this may answer the question of the relationship.

Then, If you want to know if their is a difference in the way of interpretation nowadays, would need to make a comparative study of moroccan pieces with pieces from the original area of the maqam of interst, in its developement and also tune (sika note is rather high for exemple in turkish way when you compare to arabic music)

Regards

Thanks...forwarded!
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-2-2018 at 11:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by al-Halabi  
The traditional mode (tab') of sika in Moroccan music has a basic diatonic scale that extends from E to e (E F G A B c d e), although in ascending melodic movements F# may replace F and in descending melodic movements Bb may replace B. The set of intervals of this mode is therefore quite different from that of sika/segah in the Mashriq, in which the first degree is flattened by roughly a quarter tone, and several other degrees of the scale (the 4th, 5th, and 7th) are likewise lowered or raised by some fraction of a tone (although in somewhat different measures in Arab and Turkish music).

A number of Moroccan modes share the names of modes used in the Mashriq (Rast, Iraq, Hijaz, Ushashaq, Hisar), but they display quite different intervalic structures and melodic patterns. The Moroccan modes lack the microtonal intervals characteristic of music in the Mashriq and that naturally creates one key distinction between the two.

The basic scales of Moroccan modes are displayed in La musique classique du Maghreb by Mahmoud Guettat, pp. 265-267.

Thanks...forwarded!
Khalil_Oud
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 08:19 AM

Hi,
I've been playing Andalusian Moroccan music since my childhood and the text given by Mr. Al-Halabi is well summarized, the reference as well is one of the best (Guettat). I would add some information that can help to understand when looking at the scale (why is different to what we know...) : that in Andalusian music, regardless the scale, there is a way/style/sol of every scale that's why we call it Tab3 (Tab') meaning temperament. For example, in Morocco we have three noubas (big chapters, everyone can contain 50 to 80 mouwashah) all are on ''do major'', but we play them differently because the Tab3 (style is different).
So to make the story short and to still in this question, here is an example of andalusian seka singing from al-malouf (Tunisian andalusian music). The scale is relatively the same as/comparable to Spanish flameco, (like kurd on E with some variations F#...) but the style is different, from where the notion of Tab'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npaIuP6tV6k
Hope it helps to give a concrete idea...

Regards,

Khalil Moqadem

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-3-2018 at 11:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Khalil_Oud  
Hi,
I've been playing Andalusian Moroccan music since my childhood and the text given by Mr. Al-Halabi is well summarized, the reference as well is one of the best (Guettat). I would add some information that can help to understand when looking at the scale (why is different to what we know...) : that in Andalusian music, regardless the scale, there is a way/style/sol of every scale that's why we call it Tab3 (Tab') meaning temperament. For example, in Morocco we have three noubas (big chapters, everyone can contain 50 to 80 mouwashah) all are on ''do major'', but we play them differently because the Tab3 (style is different).
So to make the story short and to still in this question, here is an example of andalusian seka singing from al-malouf (Tunisian andalusian music). The scale is relatively the same as/comparable to Spanish flameco, (like kurd on E with some variations F#...) but the style is different, from where the notion of Tab'.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npaIuP6tV6k
Hope it helps to give a concrete idea...

Regards,

Khalil Moqadem

Shuran! Forwarded

Go To Top