Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Printed anthologies of Ottoman music?
AKCinBE
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 04:34 AM
Printed anthologies of Ottoman music?

Hello,

I know there's a wealth of online resources available, but I'm on a bit of a quixotic quest to find physical, printed anthologies of Ottoman sheet music containing pieces from various composers and across time periods.

I recently purchased Dr. Jonathan Gemmill's book "A Selection of Early Ottoman Court Music", but this isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

So far, the only anthologies I've been able to find are dedicated to a particular composer and I haven't been successful in finding another collection of music that cross-cuts the tradition and presents an array of pieces from multiple composers over multiple periods.

Do you know of anything like this? Any language and notation system is fine.

Thanks for your help.
al-Halabi
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-9-2018 at 10:15 AM

Most of the anthologies of notations published in Turkey are dedicated chiefly or entirely to the repertoire of the 19th and 20th centuries, and they usually mix late Ottoman pieces with post-Ottoman ones (all of them now being identified as part of 'Turkish art music'). Notations of pieces from the Ottoman repertoire of earlier centuries, which is much less familiar and not nearly as frequently performed, tend to appear in separate collections that are relatively few in number. The more modern musical repertoire enjoys much greater popularity than the earlier pieces, many of which have never been recorded, and the contents of anthologies reflect market demand.

One anthology that cuts across this temporal divide, although only partially, is the Darülelhan Külliyatı (the collection of the Ottoman School of Music). It includes notations of over 250 instrumental and (mostly) vocal pieces covering roughly the period from the 16th century to approximately the mid-19th (although earlier pieces attributed to Abdülkadir Meragi are also included). I am not sure if it's possible to find in print form the entire set, which was issued in unbound individual sheets. (I bought in Istanbul a folder including pieces 181-263, which was published by Sema Vakfı in 1995, but I was not able to find similar printed packets of the rest of the pieces.) Copies of these notations are available online at http://www.notaarsivleri.com/darulelhan.html

Although it covers a more extended period than most, this particular anthology falls short of what you are looking for. But I thought I would mention it just in case you are not familiar with it and it's of possible interest. Perhaps the growing attention in recent years to the older Ottoman corpus, especially to the hundreds of pieces that Ali Ufki and Dimitrie Cantemir notated in Istanbul in the 17th and early 18th centuries, will lead to the publication of anthologies that seek to present the broad span of the Ottoman musical tradition rather than limited slices of it.

Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-10-2018 at 02:08 PM

Quote:

I recently purchased Dr. Jonathan Gemmill's book "A Selection of Early Ottoman Court Music", but this isn't exactly what I'm looking for.

Hi, did the book turn out OK?
This was my first time dealing with Createspace.

Sorry that it wasn't what you were looking for.

You likely have my Maqam Anthology, there are quite a few Ottoman pieces from 1500 to the late Ottoman era.
Brian Prunka has hard copies for sale also, if that is at all helpful.

http://www.oudstrings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path...

This book is a collection of Ottoman women composers from different periods:

https://www.amazon.com/Kadin-Besteciler-Turhan-Tasan/dp/9757652865

Good book - text in Turkish and scores in Turkish notation.

Also you could get this printed, also in Turkish notation.
Excellent collection.

https://app.box.com/s/xrim5gdmiyixs897oh4yj3kn89fshv49

AKCinBE
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 11:05 PM

Thanks Jono Oud and al-Halabi for these really helpful explanations and resources. I would have never been able to find that on my own. That's the amazing this about this forum.

Just out of sheer curiosity: do we know where "the real Turkish book" came from? It's an astounding collection... I've been able to find the sheet music to virtually anything I've looked up so far.

Go To Top