Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oud building workshop
Dr. Oud
Oud Junkie

Mood: better than before

[*] posted on 2-12-2018 at 10:47 AM
Oud building workshop

As I approach the end of my time here (on earth) I am reminded of the loss of information for building ouds due to cultural traditions. Arabic and Persian instrument makers will only teach someone from their own family. There are apprentice programs in Turkey, if you speak Turkish and can go there for a month or more.
This is why I wrote the book.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/richard-hankey/the-oud-construction-and-re...
I also am aware that the book can only contain basic information. Woodworking technique, wood selection criteria, and many other things cannot be explained but must be demonstrated.
So I am offering to teach those interested and impart all my knowledge of 50 years of building, repairing and restoring ouds. My shop is small so it would be with one individual at a time. My shop is in Sacramento, CA, housing is not provided. My fee would be $25/ hr at your own pace or $2,000 for a complete build. Materials range from $100 to $500 depending on type and quality of wood and decoration if any. The design would be from my book, and will be provided if you don't have one yet. Other designs or styles can be worked out with a little calculation. Arabic, Turkish or Persian barbat layouts are available. Build time is about 100 hours but you could just learn to make the parts and assemble and finish it on your own. I recommend that you complete the assembly and finish it on your own to have the best chance for success and lowest cost.
Any takers out there?

Doc139
Oud Junkie

Mood: oud-sick

[*] posted on 2-13-2018 at 08:31 AM

Dear Richard,

that's an interesting offer indeed, thanks! I'll really think about it. It would mean to come for a month or so to California, so why not? I made a lot of holidays in my life that made much less sense than this idea.

Alexander, Switzerland

Go To Top