Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about strings on Fixed and floating bridge Oud
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-14-2018 at 04:42 PM
Question about strings on Fixed and floating bridge Oud

Hello,
I have 2 Ouds :

1-) Fixed bridge, 57 cm string length + "Labella" strings. I just love its playability, the strings are not difficult to press which allows me to enjoy playing and having less fingers pain and specially I do much less errors, I am more fluid playing on it.

2-) Floating bridge, 57 cm (I measured from neck to the bridge) + "Pyramid Lute Strings" that originally came with the Oud. I feel I need to permanently apply additional force to play which leads to fingers pain with time and reduce the playability experience, not to mention the notes that are half pressed here and here because the applied force was not sufficient..

My question: If I buy Labella strings for floating bridge (Oud 2), will I have the same tension as Oud 1 since it is the same string length (so solving my oud 2 issue) ?

If not, what do you suggest me to buy for Oud number 2 as low tension strings ?

Remark: my tuning is FADGCF (up to down)

Thanks for your help...
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 12:31 PM

No body has clue if it works ?:rolleyes:
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 05:47 PM

I have not replied because some data is missing and the the data given is hard to understand. My guess is that other forum members who might be able to help are similarly uncertain and have not given an opinion.

Give us the missing details and maybe someone will reply.
The only advice I can give is to try the LaBella strings and see if you like the tension and sound. Compared to Pyramid lute strings LaBella strings are not expensive so I think it's worth taking a chance.

A high bridge on a floating bridge oud can create a tight feel of the strings. The steepness of the angle of the strings between bridge and tailpiece can have an effect.

Usually in discussing music and musical instruments "up" means high pitch and "down" means low pitch. So if the tuning you have given is actually down to up, and not up to down, all is well. If your tuning is really what you say it is it is no wonder the strings feel tight. Its hard to predict which of the two ouds will explode or implode first. But no... it can't be. I think you are tuned in one of the standard Arabic F tunings.

You have given the scale length from "neck to bridge" but have not said what part of the neck. The standard measurement is from nut to bridge, that is to say the vibrating length of the string.

Pyramid lute strings come in a wide variety of diameters and tensions. Is this a set designed for the pitches to which you are tuned? If these strings are meant for a lower tuning then of course it will hurt to play.

And without knowing whether the neck angle and nut height and bridge height are the same on the two ouds I don't know who can say with certainty whether the same set of LaBella strings in identical tuning will produce identical results of ease of playing on the two ouds .
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-20-2018 at 07:10 PM

When data is missing or something is not clear in a topic I think the best thing is to engage communication to obtain clarification as one may not be aware of such parameters, it is good you mentioned them.

Meanwhile I put the Labella set of Oud 1 on Oud 2 :D I feel that I have less tension, I will see with time..

thx anyway.
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 01:44 AM

Can you tell us something about the action of your strings? At the nut there should be no more than about half a mm and about 3 mm where the neck meets the body, if you want fluid playing. Depends on the tension of the strings though.

Greetings from Klaus in Germany!
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 03:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by newlife_ks  
Can you tell us something about the action of your strings? At the nut there should be no more than about half a mm and about 3 mm where the neck meets the body, if you want fluid playing. Depends on the tension of the strings though.

Hi Newlife_ks
Measurements (approx ):

Oud 1 (labella strings) : At the nut 0.8-0.9 mm ; where the neck meets the body: 2.65 mm (high pitch side); 2.8 mm (low pitch side)
Oud 2 (pyramid lute) : 0.9-1.3 mm (not the same along the nut) ; where the neck meets the body: 1.85 mm (high pitch side) and 3- mm (low pitch side)

I am wondering why there is too much difference in Oud 2 along the nut :shrug:

newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 06:57 AM

In my opinion the action is too high with both nuts. With my oud it's about half a mm on cc and C strings. This might be the problem with your oud. You could take off the nut and sand its bottom side down little by little and see if it gets better. You should have an even surface to put the sanding paper on in order to give the nut's bottom a plain surface.
Maybe there are other opinions about this matter here, I'm curious too.

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 08:25 AM

In my opinion the action is too high with both nuts. With my oud it's about half a mm on cc and C strings. This might be the problem with your oud. You could take off the nut and sand its bottom side down little by little and see if it gets better. You should have an even surface to put the sanding paper on in order to give the nut's bottom a plain surface.
Maybe there are other opinions about this matter here, I'm curious too.

Thanks, I will seriously consider filing the nut petit à petit as you said, thought it is curious to have such a nut with that deviation between both sides (0.9-1.5 mm) means approx 60% !!:rolleyes:
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 08:35 AM

Of course you could also use tiny round files and deepen the slits. Depends on what tools you have. Or a hacksaw. Or take sanding paper, make a fold and use this as a file. Always watch out that the groove is deeper towards the pegbox.

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 11:00 AM

I just took out the strings and the nut is glued....is it normal ?

I did not understand this "Always watch out that the groove is deeper towards the pegbox"
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 01:06 PM

Nuts may be glued or not, that depends. So I think filing in this case is better than flattening the nut on the bottom side. Maybe you are lucky using a rubber mallet giving the nut hits by the side and so loosen the glue, but that's your decision. If it was my oud, I would give it a try, but if the glue (in most cases bone or fish glue) is too strong, I'd rather choose the filing method.

Answering your second question - the string must rest on the nut front part pointing to the fretboard. So the groove should either be at least parallel to the fretboard or have a slope towards the pegboard, otherwise the string can't vibrate correctly. I'm sorry, but my english vocabulary is maybe not sufficent to explain complicated technical terms like this, and I hope, you unterstand the meaning.

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-21-2018 at 04:21 PM

Or maybe a Dremel with low speed in order to get out this nut gently and file it on the bottom side could be better than filing the front side ? (I am afraid that grooves disappear because it is not too deep, we can barely see them..)

Using surrounded tools ?

inventaire 2 by A M, on Flickr
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 12:31 AM

As you said it's mostly oud no.2 that worries you. In this case you'd have to give the bottom side a slant to level the difference of 0.4 mm. That's impossible without hightech machines, you'd end up with a convex nut bottom.

A dremel for removing the nut? Definitely not! I know that bone glue can be softened with water, that's why luthiers have been using it for centuries. But I'm far from being an expert concerning bone glue. If it was my oud I'd try sanding paper because depending on the grain it is nearly impossible to have the grooves too deep suddenly. Definitely no motorized tools. Better ask a luthier when insecure.

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 12:46 AM

As you said it's mostly oud no.2 that worries you. In this case you'd have to give the bottom side a slant to level the difference of 0.4 mm. That's impossible without hightech machines, you'd end up with a convex nut bottom.

A dremel for removing the nut? Definitely not! I know that bone glue can be softened with water, that's why luthiers have been using it for centuries. But I'm far from being an expert concerning bone glue. If it was my oud I'd try sanding paper because depending on the grain it is nearly impossible to have the grooves too deep suddenly. Definitely no motorized tools. Better ask a luthier when insecure.

Ok I will take into account your advices. No dremel, promise :D

I will try softening the nut with water and if it doesn't come out I will file the front.
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 11:28 AM

Water did not work, I used a very thin cutter to "cut the glue" between the tiny space between nut and beg box, below the result, not bad ha? :D

nut by A M, on Flickr
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 11:50 AM

Looks good so far. What's the next step for you? How do you proceed?

Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 11:55 AM

Is this a left handed oud?
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 03:47 PM

Surgery done. 2.5 hours. Filing with paper grain 600. It took me a while (settings on flat surface, last photo) :bounce:

New measurements:

Oud 2 (pyramid lute) : nut :APPROX 0.52- 0.59 mm; where the neck meets the body: 2.34 mm (high pitch side) and 2.72 mm (low pitch side)

First impression with pyramid lute (that originally came with oud) : Weird, OMG that's clearly better, tender, thx newlife_ks :applause: you encouraged me to dare doing it. I noticed much less stress while doing exercices on 3rd/4th position (I was almost feeling disabled in that region due to strings tension)
I showed it to my wife without saying anything she told me : "where is the bump" :)) (she meant the edges had important height before the surgery).

Now the tune is unstable, I should wait a while for stabilisation.

One question remains in my head: why the luthier did not consider these parameters ?!!

IMG_5068 by A M, on Flickr

IMG_5067 by A M, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 00.38.59 by A M, on Flickr
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-22-2018 at 03:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Jody Stecher  
Is this a left handed oud?

no
alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 12:33 AM

I confirm today- after sleeping- that playability has substantially improved, I am thinking to file this nut a little more :D
Strings are now more stable.
I also noticed that there is less "buzz" for example when playing Ré on the C string.

Thank you all for every detail you wrote here!

I took the opportunity to clean this ugly glue. I did not use glue.
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 12:52 AM

Great work, alloushé, you made it! I feel happy for you and wish you much joy when playing.

As to your last question - it's hard to tell why the luthier did not adjust the nut better. Maybe some other forum user can say more if you tell us who built the oud. I have only one oud and no further knowledge about oud workshops.

P.S Glad I could help you! :)

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 04:21 AM

Great work, alloushé, you made it! I feel happy for you and wish you much joy when playing.

As to your last question - it's hard to tell why the luthier did not adjust the nut better. Maybe some other forum user can say more if you tell us who built the oud. I have only one oud and no further knowledge about oud workshops.

P.S Glad I could help you! :)

Yes, you helped me :) do you need anything from France ? I am ready :cool: du chocolat noir ? :D

To answer your question, this is who made my Oud
http://www.mikeouds.com/messageboard/viewthread.php?tid=17242#pid11...
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 07:21 AM

Sorry to see you had so much trouble with your ouds by Rabih Haddad ! I really hope you are content with your - playable! - oud so far now. I myself was lucky with my Fatih Ameen oud from Cairo because the former owner had been in Cairo himself to check and play ouds in the workshop. No faults on the oud and sounding beautiful.

alloushé
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 09:55 AM

We say in French "ce qui ne vous tue pas vous rend plus fort" -->what does not kill you make you stronger :D:D
Can one file a little bit more later on ? for example nut action at 0.4 or 0.3 mm ? I imagine there is a limit to respect right ?
newlife_ks
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-23-2018 at 10:16 AM

That's hard to say, I really don't have a concrete answer. Trial and error I'd say. In case you file the grooves too deep you can always put a thin layer of veneer under the nut to correct your error. The limit is surely exceeded when hitting the strings hard makes them slap against the fingerboard.

Other hints or observations on other player's ouds are welcome!

Go To Top