Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Tracking Down Farid's Ouds
Badra
Oud Maniac

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 01:05 PM
Tracking Down Farid's Ouds

Farid used many ouds throughout his career. I, and I'm sure other Farid fans are curious as to the whereabouts of these ouds today, especially his favorite inlaid oud featured in Gamil Gamal, Ish Inta, and Hikayet Gharami. But other than that oud, he has several others that show up repeatedly in concerts, pictures and in movies.

Hopefully the experts on this subject can chime in. Please corroborate any of these statements, which are not meant to be solid facts, just things I've read. Between this site and others, here is a summary of what I know so far:

- One oud, a Nahat, was acquired by or gifted to Simon Shaheen around the year 2000. That's good news. Can anyone confirm this, and does anyone have a picture of Shaheen playing this oud?

- One oud was possibly sold by Faisal (nephew) for $5 million. If true, depending on who bought it, that is sad. It's a hearsay comment from facebook, maybe somebody can corroborate it.

- Somebody has said that Farid's apartment was robbed at some point and possibly ouds were stolen. Another sad thing if true. Farid's home was beautiful. It's unfortunate it cannot be visited like Halim's home in Cairo.

The pic of the two men on the couch was found on this site. It shows Fouad (Farid's brother) and another man (??) holding Farid's most famous oud. I don't think that is Faisal.

I also found a pic of another famous Farid oud, someone is playing it, the same one seen on the album cover pic, this pic appears to be taken after his death, however no information is provided. These pictures were found on this thread http://www.sama3y.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74906

The rest of the pics are just of the various ouds he can be seen with. I've counted 8 different ouds in these pictures.

Please share any info you may know. Thanks.

sidi_farid_oud.jpg - 193kB 4042-3295-568.jpg - 32kB 37.jpg - 43kB ab12fe4228fad9f84f4a60d742fe37a5.jpg - 334kB blossom - 2 - farid - asmahan - www.sama3y.net.jpg - 239kB Farid-Al-Atrash.png - 202kB صورة 4.jpg - 130kB

ScreenHunter_11 Dec. 24 01.39b2.jpg - 123kB

R-3200197-1320184943.jpeg.jpg - 185kB

Scanned Yellow (608x800).jpg - 409kB
Badra
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 02:47 PM

Here is the Simon Shaheen discussing the oud. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOUGHudYyF4
However it is not clear if the oud in the video is the Farid oud he is talking about. Still need picture.

Also Ghassan Alyousif playing a real Farid oud, the one from the Rabeeh concert, and album cover of pictures above. Question to Ghassan Alyousif: where, when and how? https://youtu.be/9SINA5Dd8Fc
Adel Salameh
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-26-2018 at 11:41 PM

Farid Oud which he played in Al Rabeeh concert Song was made by Lebanese master Emil Khoury, This oud maker is not known, nobody knows him, even when I have asked Nazih Ghadban about this maker he did not know him....
I only have seen 2 of his ouds, one in Emirates and the other one I have received recently as a gift....great maker,very Arabic traditional sound, yet his instruments does not have a big volume, however very sweet and haunty sound....
Best wishes,
Adel
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 10:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Badra  
Here is the Simon Shaheen discussing the oud. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOUGHudYyF4
However it is not clear if the oud in the video is the Farid oud he is talking about. Still need picture.

The picture in the video is random, not the oud Simon has. I'm pretty sure he's playing it in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI_WByfCFxA

video quality isn't very good, it's hard to see, but I did see it in person.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Badra
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-27-2018 at 05:17 PM

Thanks for the interesting info Adel. Haunty is a great adjective to describe the sound, I can hear it. :)

Brian, from that Shaheen video you shared, I can decipher one unique aspect of that oud. That oud has a dark and very large pick guard. That would make that oud unique, I haven't seen a Farid oud like that. But it's tough to tell for sure by that video.

On the Sama3y thread, a poster mentions Simon Shaheen's Farid oud, and includes the attached pictures. One pic of Shaheen with the supposed Farid oud, and the other with Farid holding the Rabeeh/Album cover oud that Ghassan Alyousif is playing on youtube.

But there are some differences between the oud Shaheen is holding and the Rabeeh oud. First, the Farid oud has decorative trim around the soundboard and the fingerboard. The Shaheen oud doesn't. Second, the decoration around the soundhole is very similar, but looks slightly different when analyzing it. Could be a oud from the same maker, Emil Khoury?

What we need is a clean picture of Shaheen's oud. I can try emailing him. Brian, if you see it again, it would be awesome if you can get a picture. I might have to sign up for the retreat to get the bottom of this, and study music of course :)

فريد الاطرش.jpg - 106kB

Attachment: الموسيقار سيمون شا&#1607 (17kB)
This file has been downloaded 194 times

سيمون وعود فريد 1.jpg - 25kB
Adel Salameh
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 12:13 AM

The question is why Emil Khoury is not known even for lebanese makers and players????

IMG-20171129-WA0025.jpg - 113kB
Badra
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 2-28-2018 at 09:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Adel Salameh  
The question is why Emil Khoury is not known even for lebanese makers and players????

Very good question. And thanks for the pic. It's beautiful. Very, very close to Farid's oud. With that similarity, it could be assumed the one Shaheen is holding is also an Emil Khoury oud.

Do we know who is the maker of Farid's most famous inlaid oud shown in the first post (yellow shirt pic)?
Oudistan
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 02:23 AM

I have signed up to participate in this thread.. :buttrock:

One of Farid's ouds is in Kuwait, at a personal inside the house of Shiekh Darwish Bin Abdullah Al-Dariwsh (who probably has the world's most exquisite collection of ouds).

You can see the collection in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BT3g7dcgQ&t=271s

One of Farid's ouds is shown at exactly 3:00 of the video, made by "Jamil Qandalafat Yurgaki" in 1968, it uses an adjustable action mechanism.
mham
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-6-2018 at 05:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Oudistan  
I have signed up to participate in this thread.. :buttrock:

One of Farid's ouds is in Kuwait, at a personal inside the house of Shiekh Darwish Bin Abdullah Al-Dariwsh (who probably has the world's most exquisite collection of ouds).

You can see the collection in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BT3g7dcgQ&t=271s

One of Farid's ouds is shown at exactly 3:00 of the video, made by "Jamil Qandalafat Yurgaki" in 1968, it uses an adjustable action mechanism.

That is indeed an impressive collection !
Badra
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-7-2018 at 10:28 PM

Thanks for the video Oudistan. Farid did a lot of work in Kuwait in the late 60s, concerts, recordings, and music videos. In fact the Awal Hamsa concert that has millions of views on Youtube was in Kuwait. https://youtu.be/4d27SYiikOY?t=5m21s
The oud he used in that concert was his only one-soundhole oud, the bowl is different style than the collection oud.

BUT, the oud Farid is playing in this video, in Kuwait, is one he was never pictured with. https://youtu.be/t5eM9K0e2gw He is using a feather risha, and a wound dd, not his typical set up. This all tells me that the oud was possibly just one he was using when he was there, and not one of his personal ouds. That could be the oud from the collection? We may never know.

Is someone able to read the card describing the oud and translate it?

mham
Oud Addict

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Badra  
Thanks for the video Oudistan. Farid did a lot of work in Kuwait in the late 60s, concerts, recordings, and music videos. In fact the Awal Hamsa concert that has millions of views on Youtube was in Kuwait. https://youtu.be/4d27SYiikOY?t=5m21s
The oud he used in that concert was his only one-soundhole oud, the bowl is different style than the collection oud.

BUT, the oud Farid is playing in this video, in Kuwait, is one he was never pictured with. https://youtu.be/t5eM9K0e2gw He is using a feather risha, and a wound dd, not his typical set up. This all tells me that the oud was possibly just one he was using when he was there, and not one of his personal ouds. That could be the oud from the collection? We may never know.

Is someone able to read the card describing the oud and translate it?

Here is the translation :

Oud bowl made of turkish walnut and face of swedish white wood from Aleppo (Probably spruce or pine). It was made by Jamil Yorgaki Qandalafit in 1968, who was Farid Atrache's (RIP) favorite oudmaker. Farid mentionned this in one of his radiophonic interviews, which made Jamil Yorgaki Qandalafit's ouds extremely rare in the market because of the high demand.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 06:47 AM

the oud attached is apparently made by Jamil Qandalaf also. The work is very nice and clean so it could very well be.

in the video they talk about his favorite maker being Armenian. it could be he was an Armenian Syrian although Jamil yorgaki Qandalaf sounds more like a typical Christian Syrian name. perhaps it used to be "yorgakian" and they dropped the "ian" to blend in and help pronunciation of their names. this was common for Armenians living in Egypt.

oud maker Hussein Sabsaby recently made a copy of this oud. maybe he knows the maker, I have asked him the question on Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXqbGUEDTwK/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BXlqAwNj6-r/

Jamil Qandalaf oud.jpg - 39kB

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Badra
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 3-8-2018 at 12:17 PM

Thanks for the translation mham.

Did quick research on Yorgaki, looks complicated because it is a variation of George, and could be given to a Greek or Armenian during the Ottoman period. There are Greeks, Turks and Armenians with that name.

Is this the same maker that made this famous Farid oud? Pics are screengrabs from Zaman Ya Hob. I'm pretty sure I read Farid said in an interview, a maker from Aleppo made this oud.

Snapshot_77a.jpg - 119kB Snapshot_78 (2).jpg - 89kB
hartun
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 3-19-2018 at 03:52 AM

Yorgaki is not a typical Armenian name, and I’ve never heard the surname Yorgakian. Yorgaki linguistically is Greek and would be translated as Georgie, that is the diminutive of George. It’s true Armenians occasionally had Greek names especially the VERY small community of Greek Orthodox Armenians. But this was very uncommon. Never heard of a Turk being named Yorgaki, there was Oudi Yorgos Bacanos but he was not a Turk properly so called, rather an Orthodox Greek-Gypsy citizen of Turkey. But a Greek name being taken by a Syrian/Antiochian Orthodox makes a lot more sense.

Perhaps Farid had a couple anecdotally favorite oud makers and the Armenian reference to is Smbat Der Bedrossian or someone like that.

That being said, Jamil Yorgaki could have been of mixed Armenian and Orthodox Arab descent and referred to as an Armenian to distinguish him from others in the community. But with a name like that, I doubt the man was a full Armenian and Armenian Church member.
Badra
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 12-16-2018 at 12:35 PM

A couple of post-1974 pics have surfaced of Farid's signature oud. After close analysis, they appear authentic. Despite the pictures, there's still no definitive info as to where this oud currently rests.

Also attached I believe is a rare picture of Jamil Yorgaki Kandalaft holding possibly the same oud. It's hard to tell because lighting can change the specifics of the features and make the same oud look like a different oud.

22196464_2031294833753634_2665498009112429215_n.jpg - 49kB 46081775_1759005594207783_6253653587646218240_n.jpg - 23kB 47316533_2291539274211822_2929284153910231040_n.jpg - 48kB
Omar Al-Mufti
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 12-18-2018 at 05:12 AM

@ Adil
Emil is the father of Ramiz Khoury.
Ramiz made few ouds for George Wassof and Milhim Barakat.
Badra
Oud Maniac

[*] posted on 6-8-2020 at 03:33 PM

Update on the Emil Khoury oud, seen in this picture, as well as the famous Rabeeh concert from 1970. Reliable sources and evidence tell me the oud is secured at the residence of Faisal Al Atrash, Farid Al Atrash's nephew. That is good news.

Still investigating the whereabouts of the other, more famous famous Farid oud, the one made by Jamil Yorgaki Kandalaft.

R-3200197-1320184943.jpeg.jpg - 185kB

Go To Top