Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sheet music resources
Amos
Oud Junkie

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-24-2018 at 05:24 PM
sheet music resources

Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a few years and I am checking in to where folks are finding sheet music for Arabic music online these days. Any resources are appreciated, thank you!

Our music is like an ocean...
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-25-2018 at 06:32 AM

https://www.ahyasalam.com is good source. The sheets often have errors but are a pretty good reference in most cases.
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 04:16 PM

This site is excellent:

http://www.classicalarabicmusic.com/Arabic%20Sheet%20Music.htm

I got all their eBooks - they are amazing and inexpensive.
Well worth paying for :)!
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 05:56 PM

you got all of them?!? thats like $400
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  

Hey Brian :).
I downloaded the eBooks and printed (most) of the sheets out and put them in clearfiles organised by maqam.
They were only $9.95:

http://www.classicalarabicmusic.com/web_index/web%20-index_1a.html

The pieces by Jamil Owaiss are all excellent compositions as well as many, many other (largely unknown) classics.
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 06:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jono Oud N.Z  

Hey Brian :).
I downloaded the eBooks and printed (most) of the sheets out and put them in clearfiles organised by maqam.
They were only $9.95:

http://www.classicalarabicmusic.com/web_index/web%20-index_1a.html

The pieces by Jamil Owaiss are all excellent compositions as well as many, many other (largely unknown) classics.

9.95 for one ebook though — there are about 40 ebooks of sheet music listed

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 03:31 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I later realised that I was unclear - I have the "All Classics Notations" series - 1-6.
I had forgotten that there were other books also.
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 08:12 AM

Hi Amos,

Welcome back!

I have posted a bunch of links in the CD & Books Reviews section. Here is one example: http://www.watar7.com/PDFModule_Details.php?ID=1 I am always open to sheet music exchanges; U2U me your email address if you are interested. I don't know what type of music you are seeking (popular, classical, etc.), but the Ah Ya Salam site mentioned above is an excellent resource for popular Arabic music. I don't exactly share Brian's opinion that the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate, but I would say that some are not written at all in the way I would have done so. [The "bug up my butt" with respect to much Arabic sheet music available is not inaccuracy so much as a failure to distinguish between the "core" melody and "lazimah" added by performers. I prefer sheet music with a minimum of ornamentation, legatos, and dynamics markings (f, mf, mp, etc.) which allow/force the performer to create this him-/herself.]

All the best,
"Udi" John
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 03:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  
Hi Amos,

Welcome back!

I have posted a bunch of links in the CD & Books Reviews section. Here is one example: http://www.watar7.com/PDFModule_Details.php?ID=1 I am always open to sheet music exchanges; U2U me your email address if you are interested. I don't know what type of music you are seeking (popular, classical, etc.), but the Ah Ya Salam site mentioned above is an excellent resource for popular Arabic music. I don't exactly share Brian's opinion that the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate, but I would say that some are not written at all in the way I would have done so. [The "bug up my butt" with respect to much Arabic sheet music available is not inaccuracy so much as a failure to distinguish between the "core" melody and "lazimah" added by performers. I prefer sheet music with a minimum of ornamentation, legatos, and dynamics markings (f, mf, mp, etc.) which allow/force the performer to create this him-/herself.]

All the best,
"Udi" John

Nice, thanks for sharing — I didn't see that you were posting in the other section, I never check there!

Re: Ah Ya Salam, some sheets are fine, some are full of serious mistakes (like completely wrong notes/melodies, missing sections, etc. — not just the normal variation in how one might define the 'core' melody). They're a helpful resource but you can't rely on them.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website
John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 08:02 PM

Hi Amos,

Welcome back!

All the best,
"Udi" John

Nice, thanks for sharing — I didn't see that you were posting in the other section, I never check there!

Re: Ah Ya Salam, some sheets are fine, some are full of serious mistakes (like completely wrong notes/melodies, missing sections, etc. — not just the normal variation in how one might define the 'core' melody). They're a helpful resource but you can't rely on them.

I find most of Adel Samuel's scores--the largest bloc--pretty accurate and very readable. (I use them with my student frequently.) Nicola Marjieh's--the 2nd largest bloc--on the other hand, are very melodically "busy," and, in my opinion, make it quite difficult to identify the "core" melody. (I use them only when I can't find a score by anyone else.) The quality of the smattering of those by other arrangers (Tarek, Issa Buolos, Simon Shaheen, various older hand-written scores, etc.) vary. Anyway, I've leave it at that.

I have gotten my hands on a great deal of written scores recently, especially via 2 Arabic Facebook pages: https://www.facebook.com/groups/101468160675149/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/oudlovers/

All the best,
"Udi" John
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 02:18 PM

John, I'm confused by your argumentativeness.

Here is what I said:

https://www.ahyasalam.com is good source. The sheets often have errors but are a pretty good reference in most cases.

Here's what you said:
I don't exactly share Brian's opinion that the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate

My opinion was that "they are a pretty good reference in most cases." It sounds like you do share my opinion, so I'm not sure why you would primarily characterize it as a disagreement.

I didn't say "the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate." I said that they "often have errors." It is perplexing that you would put words in my mouth in order to start a disagreement.

The existence of errors in a portion of the charts is not a simply a matter of opinion.

I suggested the site initially and commented favorably on its value, while issuing a pretty mild caveat that one can't simply rely on the transcriptions. Is that not a reasonable, balanced assessment of the situation?

I just don't understand why you would take issue with that and make it into an argument, it seems unnecessary and not helpful.

John Erlich
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 09:27 PM

John, I'm confused by your argumentativeness.

Here is what I said:

Here's what you said:
I don't exactly share Brian's opinion that the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate

My opinion was that "they are a pretty good reference in most cases." It sounds like you do share my opinion, so I'm not sure why you would primarily characterize it as a disagreement.

I didn't say "the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate." I said that they "often have errors." It is perplexing that you would put words in my mouth in order to start a disagreement.

The existence of errors in a portion of the charts is not a simply a matter of opinion.

I suggested the site initially and commented favorably on its value, while issuing a pretty mild caveat that one can't simply rely on the transcriptions. Is that not a reasonable, balanced assessment of the situation?

I just don't understand why you would take issue with that and make it into an argument, it seems unnecessary and not helpful.

I am sorry you feel I mischaracterized your statement. I am not interested in continuing this conversation. Thank you for your contributions.
baher2012
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 5-4-2020 at 01:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jono Oud N.Z  

Quote:

Sorry, I later realised that I was unclear - I have the "All Classics Notations" series - 1-6.
I had forgotten that there were other books also.

Can you share it with us?

Go To Top