Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: sheet music resources
Amos
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 405
Registered: 3-26-2005
Member Is Offline

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 6-24-2018 at 05:24 PM
sheet music resources


Hey everyone, I haven't posted in a few years and I am checking in to where folks are finding sheet music for Arabic music online these days. Any resources are appreciated, thank you!



Our music is like an ocean...
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 2584
Registered: 1-30-2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-25-2018 at 06:32 AM


https://www.ahyasalam.com is good source. The sheets often have errors but are a pretty good reference in most cases.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 1111
Registered: 12-14-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 04:16 PM


This site is excellent:

http://www.classicalarabicmusic.com/Arabic%20Sheet%20Music.htm

I got all their eBooks - they are amazing and inexpensive.
Well worth paying for :)!
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 2584
Registered: 1-30-2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-27-2018 at 05:56 PM


you got all of them?!? thats like $400
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 1111
Registered: 12-14-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 6-28-2018 at 11:22 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
you got all of them?!? thats like $400


Hey Brian :).
I downloaded the eBooks and printed (most) of the sheets out and put them in clearfiles organised by maqam.
They were only $9.95:

http://www.classicalarabicmusic.com/web_index/web%20-index_1a.html

The pieces by Jamil Owaiss are all excellent compositions as well as many, many other (largely unknown) classics.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 2584
Registered: 1-30-2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 06:21 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Jono Oud N.Z  
Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
you got all of them?!? thats like $400


Hey Brian :).
I downloaded the eBooks and printed (most) of the sheets out and put them in clearfiles organised by maqam.
They were only $9.95:

http://www.classicalarabicmusic.com/web_index/web%20-index_1a.html

The pieces by Jamil Owaiss are all excellent compositions as well as many, many other (largely unknown) classics.


9.95 for one ebook though there are about 40 ebooks of sheet music listed




View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Jono Oud N.Z
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 1111
Registered: 12-14-2009
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 6-29-2018 at 03:31 PM



Quote:

9.95 for one ebook though there are about 40 ebooks of sheet music listed


Sorry, I later realised that I was unclear - I have the "All Classics Notations" series - 1-6.
I had forgotten that there were other books also.
View user's profile View All Posts By User
John Erlich
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 1350
Registered: 8-26-2004
Location: California, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 08:12 AM


Hi Amos,

Welcome back!

I have posted a bunch of links in the CD & Books Reviews section. Here is one example: http://www.watar7.com/PDFModule_Details.php?ID=1 I am always open to sheet music exchanges; U2U me your email address if you are interested. I don't know what type of music you are seeking (popular, classical, etc.), but the Ah Ya Salam site mentioned above is an excellent resource for popular Arabic music. I don't exactly share Brian's opinion that the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate, but I would say that some are not written at all in the way I would have done so. [The "bug up my butt" with respect to much Arabic sheet music available is not inaccuracy so much as a failure to distinguish between the "core" melody and "lazimah" added by performers. I prefer sheet music with a minimum of ornamentation, legatos, and dynamics markings (f, mf, mp, etc.) which allow/force the performer to create this him-/herself.]

All the best,
"Udi" John
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 2584
Registered: 1-30-2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 03:17 PM


Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  
Hi Amos,

Welcome back!

I have posted a bunch of links in the CD & Books Reviews section. Here is one example: http://www.watar7.com/PDFModule_Details.php?ID=1 I am always open to sheet music exchanges; U2U me your email address if you are interested. I don't know what type of music you are seeking (popular, classical, etc.), but the Ah Ya Salam site mentioned above is an excellent resource for popular Arabic music. I don't exactly share Brian's opinion that the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate, but I would say that some are not written at all in the way I would have done so. [The "bug up my butt" with respect to much Arabic sheet music available is not inaccuracy so much as a failure to distinguish between the "core" melody and "lazimah" added by performers. I prefer sheet music with a minimum of ornamentation, legatos, and dynamics markings (f, mf, mp, etc.) which allow/force the performer to create this him-/herself.]

All the best,
"Udi" John


Nice, thanks for sharing I didn't see that you were posting in the other section, I never check there!

Re: Ah Ya Salam, some sheets are fine, some are full of serious mistakes (like completely wrong notes/melodies, missing sections, etc. not just the normal variation in how one might define the 'core' melody). They're a helpful resource but you can't rely on them.




View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
John Erlich
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 1350
Registered: 8-26-2004
Location: California, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 7-8-2018 at 08:02 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  
Hi Amos,

Welcome back!

I have posted a bunch of links in the CD & Books Reviews section. Here is one example: http://www.watar7.com/PDFModule_Details.php?ID=1 I am always open to sheet music exchanges; U2U me your email address if you are interested. I don't know what type of music you are seeking (popular, classical, etc.), but the Ah Ya Salam site mentioned above is an excellent resource for popular Arabic music. I don't exactly share Brian's opinion that the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate, but I would say that some are not written at all in the way I would have done so. [The "bug up my butt" with respect to much Arabic sheet music available is not inaccuracy so much as a failure to distinguish between the "core" melody and "lazimah" added by performers. I prefer sheet music with a minimum of ornamentation, legatos, and dynamics markings (f, mf, mp, etc.) which allow/force the performer to create this him-/herself.]

All the best,
"Udi" John


Nice, thanks for sharing I didn't see that you were posting in the other section, I never check there!

Re: Ah Ya Salam, some sheets are fine, some are full of serious mistakes (like completely wrong notes/melodies, missing sections, etc. not just the normal variation in how one might define the 'core' melody). They're a helpful resource but you can't rely on them.


I find most of Adel Samuel's scores--the largest bloc--pretty accurate and very readable. (I use them with my student frequently.) Nicola Marjieh's--the 2nd largest bloc--on the other hand, are very melodically "busy," and, in my opinion, make it quite difficult to identify the "core" melody. (I use them only when I can't find a score by anyone else.) The quality of the smattering of those by other arrangers (Tarek, Issa Buolos, Simon Shaheen, various older hand-written scores, etc.) vary. Anyway, I've leave it at that.

I have gotten my hands on a great deal of written scores recently, especially via 2 Arabic Facebook pages: https://www.facebook.com/groups/101468160675149/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/oudlovers/

All the best,
"Udi" John
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 2584
Registered: 1-30-2004
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Member Is Offline

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 02:18 PM


John, I'm confused by your argumentativeness.

Here is what I said:

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
https://www.ahyasalam.com is good source. The sheets often have errors but are a pretty good reference in most cases.


Here's what you said:
Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  
I don't exactly share Brian's opinion that the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate


My opinion was that "they are a pretty good reference in most cases." It sounds like you do share my opinion, so I'm not sure why you would primarily characterize it as a disagreement.

I didn't say "the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate." I said that they "often have errors." It is perplexing that you would put words in my mouth in order to start a disagreement.

The existence of errors in a portion of the charts is not a simply a matter of opinion.

I suggested the site initially and commented favorably on its value, while issuing a pretty mild caveat that one can't simply rely on the transcriptions. Is that not a reasonable, balanced assessment of the situation?

I just don't understand why you would take issue with that and make it into an argument, it seems unnecessary and not helpful.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
John Erlich
Oud Junkie
*****




Posts: 1350
Registered: 8-26-2004
Location: California, USA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Oud-Obsessed

[*] posted on 7-9-2018 at 09:27 PM


Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
John, I'm confused by your argumentativeness.

Here is what I said:

Quote: Originally posted by Brian Prunka  
https://www.ahyasalam.com is good source. The sheets often have errors but are a pretty good reference in most cases.


Here's what you said:
Quote: Originally posted by John Erlich  
I don't exactly share Brian's opinion that the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate


My opinion was that "they are a pretty good reference in most cases." It sounds like you do share my opinion, so I'm not sure why you would primarily characterize it as a disagreement.

I didn't say "the scores on Ah Ya Salam are significantly inaccurate." I said that they "often have errors." It is perplexing that you would put words in my mouth in order to start a disagreement.

The existence of errors in a portion of the charts is not a simply a matter of opinion.

I suggested the site initially and commented favorably on its value, while issuing a pretty mild caveat that one can't simply rely on the transcriptions. Is that not a reasonable, balanced assessment of the situation?

I just don't understand why you would take issue with that and make it into an argument, it seems unnecessary and not helpful.



I am sorry you feel I mischaracterized your statement. I am not interested in continuing this conversation. Thank you for your contributions.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User
baher2012
Oud Admirer
*




Posts: 1
Registered: 4-13-2020
Member Is Offline


[*] posted on 5-4-2020 at 01:31 AM


Quote: Originally posted by Jono Oud N.Z  

Quote:

9.95 for one ebook though there are about 40 ebooks of sheet music listed


Sorry, I later realised that I was unclear - I have the "All Classics Notations" series - 1-6.
I had forgotten that there were other books also.



Can you share it with us?
View user's profile View All Posts By User

  Go To Top

Powered by XMB
XMB Forum Software © 2001-2011 The XMB Group