Mike's Oud Forums
Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Request Opinions/Review Insights on Ammar Ouds, Sandi Iraqi & Maurice Apprentice Ouds
KellyRain
Oud Lover

[*] posted on 7-16-2018 at 07:51 AM
Request Opinions/Review Insights on Ammar Ouds, Sandi Iraqi & Maurice Apprentice Ouds

Hello Everyone,

I am in the last stages of selecting an Oud for Arabic tuning and would like to ask some advice. I am down to three options that all sound and look good to me from online information. But would now like to ask opinions from experienced musicians who play some of these instruments.

Since I am relatively new to Oud, I am also aware that I am not a great judge of what best instrument to buy and hope to find one that will last a long time while I study and integrate this instrument into our band.

First: Ammar Ouds
Today I found some posts by Ammar Ouds on the forum and visited his pages online. The work looks amazing and the sound examples sound good to me. Better still he has been very helpful and kind in sharing information about his instruments.

https://www.facebook.com/AmmarOuds/

Has anyone purchased one of these lovely instruments from Ammar? If so can you share your thoughts with me either here or by message?

Sandi Iraqi Oud
I have a Sandi Turkish pro level strung and tuned to Arabic tuning. I like this instrument a lot but feel it is missing some of the lower end but the definition on the high end is very nice.

I found this Iraqi version online that looks interesting. Seems they make a floating bridge version also.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/IRAQI-OUD-Luthiers-Saadettin-SANDI-Bahadir-...

Only other issue is I find the neck is very narrow at the head stock. But looks like the Iraqi version is wider.

Anyone playing one of these?

Maurice Ouds
By all accounts the Apprentice instruments are a great buy. I am looking at one and it has been my leading candidate so far. Sound recording is lovely and look is simple and clean. And Mike is really amazingly helpful and kind. So feel very safe with his shop.

Has anyone started out with one of these? I am wondering if starting here makes sense for an Arabic oud or if I should try to buy a higher end instrument?

Thanks for your opinions and insights.

ksims
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 07:20 AM

I am also very new to the oud, and have been learning on an Apprentice oud from Maurice's shop (purchased just a few months ago). It's the only oud I've ever played, so I don't have much to compare it too, but I find it to be great in all respects - including communicating with Mike, shipping, etc. etc.

Go To Top