Not logged in [Login - Register]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: tuning problem
mcgahon
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 07:19 AM
tuning problem

I use Turkish tuning on a Turkish oud. I have just changed all the strings. The first set [d] when perfectly tuned in unison, [checked with an electronic tuner,] are perfect in the open position but as I go up the finger board they are out with each other. I have had this happen once before but when I changed one of the strings the problem went away. Am I not setting the strings correctly ? I only have this problem with the first set the others are fine.
Jody Stecher
Oud Junkie

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 08:53 AM

1) this sometimes happens with one of the formulations of Aquila nylgut and could happen with other brands as well. What brand of strings are you using?

2) this issue has been discussed at length a few years ago on this forum. Use the *search* function in the upper left corner.
mcgahon
Oud Admirer

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 09:06 AM

It did happen with the Aguila strings and now with Galli. Thanks.
SamirCanada

[*] posted on 7-18-2018 at 09:52 AM

The best advice I could give you is tune the one of the strings in the course with the tuner and the other string of the same course by ear until the sound of the 2 strings are the same.

if that doesn't work, make sure the loops at the bottom of the bridge are at the same height and length.

@samiroud Instagram
samiroudmaker@gmail.com
Brian Prunka
Oud Junkie

Mood: Stringish

[*] posted on 7-20-2018 at 02:19 PM

Quote: Originally posted by SamirCanada  
The best advice I could give you is tune the one of the strings in the course with the tuner and the other string of the same course by ear until the sound of the 2 strings are the same.

if that doesn't work, make sure the loops at the bottom of the bridge are at the same height and length.

Yes, this exactly.
Tuners, for various reasons, are often not accurate enough to tune two strings in precise unison. Any sort of plain extruded string (as opposed to rectified) can have enough variance to cause slight intonation problems, this is why most of the best strings are rectified—to produce more perfectly uniform strings.

YouTube lessons and resources

Follow on Instagram
My oud music on YouTube
www.brianprunka.com

My u2u inbox is over capacity, please contact me through my website

Go To Top